Side by Side Zoa Comparisons

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I was on a FB forum and people were arguing the difference between BBEB, Oxides, Tequila Sunrise etc so I made one of these. I was fun and easy so I banged out a few more. All too often we see edited pictures or pics of an ideal specimen. All of these are from my aquarium so same light, water params. Now all of these are named but since I love seeing people argue over zoa names, especially ones that have been renamed several times, I'm leaving names off (for now).

Enjoy!

zoa_comparison-1.jpg

green_center.jpg

red_skirts.jpg

reds.jpg

sparkly.jpg

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work, hopefully it will spread amongst others [emoji106][emoji851]

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful. Wish you left names and you love the color orange, so do I! Trying to figure which orange to get with an orange skirt. I have an unknownone with a pink center that has a purple skirt and can barely see the skirt for some reason. Its a single polyp and still very small. What would you say are the biggest and brightest zoas or palys? I do espially like orange skirts and green! I am scared to order online bucause you just cant tell how big they are. Inever forget the first time I saw a zoa in person, I haad no idea they were so small!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on a FB forum and people were arguing the difference between BBEB, Oxides, Tequila Sunrise etc so I made one of these. I was fun and easy so I banged out a few more. All too often we see edited pictures or pics of an ideal specimen. All of these are from my aquarium so same light, water params. Now all of these are named but since I love seeing people argue over zoa names, especially ones that have been renamed several times, I'm leaving names off (for now).

Enjoy!

zoa_comparison-1.jpg

green_center.jpg

red_skirts.jpg

reds.jpg

sparkly.jpg
What is last batch 2 and 5. Are bam bams very big and eagle eyes with long lashes. I know someone selling them for 5 bucks also friut loops. armor of god 15 and purple monster 15, love oompa lompa and know they are big, he dosnt have those but I am gettiing some for 20.00 for 3 of the. Utter chaos 10 pp pandora 20.00 and I bought some beauty and the beast and tiny little rastas. What do you think of the ones I name that I am interested in? Also looking for some with a high retail since I may start fragging one day to support this expensive hobby! LOL oh and wwc butt kissers 4 polyps for 40.00 but seem to be worth a lot and armageddon 4 polyps for 20.00. Do you have any of these?

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@nano reef I have updated all the pics with IDs for each. It's a pretty interesting list you put together. The brightest zoa IMO are Fireballs and Spitfires both of which are very affordable and hardy. As for the biggest and brightest you're probably looking at Sunny D's/Rainbow infusions- that whole group (there's probably a dozen at least and they all look similar to me). I understand the reluctance to order online. However, there's lots of good hobbyists posting in the forums and there are some good online vendors as well. One piece of advice, always order WYSIWYG. That way you're 100% certain on what you should be receiving. As for your other questions regarding fragging and stuff. Yes, I often have frags available so feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm in the process of cutting out a batch now.

As for buying strains with the intent to sell I'd advise against it. I know it seems like a lot of people are doing it and it sounds easy enough. However, maintaining zoa colonies, buying in at the right price, growing them out and then selling is all very tricky and takes time. I always say 'its not as fun as it sounds or as easy as it looks.' The number one goal with zoas should be growing them out into a colony and then maintaining that colony to the point where you have to trim outta necessity. Just my two cents but I can elaborate more if you like.

@Arthacker87 get after it lol. But really, there's always 'the next zoa,' and thank goodness for thank.

green_center.jpg

1) Creamsicle morph
2) Punk Rocker Morph
3) Goblins on fire
4) Ring of fire
5) Oompa Loompa
6) Gatorade

red_skirts.jpg

1) Mandarin Orange
2) Spitfire
3) Zombie Eyes
4) Emeralds on Fire
5) Tree house of horror
6) Circus Morph

reds.jpg

1) Kedd's Reds
2) Vdm (Valentine's day Massacres)
3) Blood Sucker
4) Cb UFO hornet
5) Black Widow
6) UC Black Rainbow

sparkly.jpg

1) Nightmare
2) Twizzler
3) God of War
4) Illuminati
5) Ko nightmare
6) Armageddon

yellow.jpg

1) super sayian
2) black hornent ( Not the PZ nor Ktar strain)
3) Wolverine zoa (not paly)
4) Yellow Jacket (very old strain)
5) Scrambled Eggs
6) Tutti frutti

zoa_comparison-1.jpg

1) Oxide
2) Tequila Sunrise/Blondie
3) Blue Eyed Blonde (BBEB)
4) Speckled Fire and Ice
5) Fruit Loops
6) Bam Bams

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree w that statement of only cutting out of necessity. I don't frag my stuff unless it grows to another rock I don't want it to or on the sand bed hitting other stuff.
20200210_223735.jpg

For example (sorry for the blues it was nighttime when I took pic) they started growing up the glass so I trimmed it back down and got 5 frags w 5 plus heads on them. I have a crap ton of xoa over taking my tank lol. Love it
20200411_230851.jpg

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Georgous! What are those 2? have you or @littlebigreef ever had any problems with palytoxin? I was reading about several familys being hosptilized from it! My son is not in the best of health, he has down syndome and I worry xtra hard about anything happening to him. He has only left the house 2 times since Corona outbreak!

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@nano reef which 2 are you talking about?

As for paly toxin it’s one of the singularly most annoying things people bring up with zoas because there’s misinformation out there, so here’s my take.

Paly toxin is a real thing and it can mess you up. However, it’s usually the result of someone doing something they shouldn’t be ie... boiling rock with palys on it, trying to grind them off rock (this happened to a buddy recently), or fragging them and then touching one’s face, mouth while fragging.

The kind most likely to pose a problem are death palys (nuclear, green, purple), captain America, jerks, beauty and the beast and the the ordinary brown ‘Texas trash’ polyps. When cut these secrete A copious amount of fluid. The best way to work with these is on a dedicated surface. I use a piece of acrylic on top of a fish towel that I then rinse off into a dedicated fish bucket.

Common strains of zoas pose almost no threat to you or your family. I’ve cut tens of thousands of zoas of the years and never had a reaction. I have been squirted in the eye a few times (so I’d recommend eye protection). Now, some people are just more sensitive to stuff so you have to take that into account (if you have a number of allergies, are sensitive to household cleaners etc gloves or a mask might be necessary). Doing simple things like working with a dedicated surface (and keeping it clean), rinsing you’re fragging utensils and controlling where any waste goes and you’ll be fine.

reefhomie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol None of these even look remotely the same they all have there own personality color and pattern some people are just crazy!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back