Signs of White Bugs

  • Thread starter Thread starter timqmana
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

timqmana

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 30, 2023
Messages
86
Reaction score
27
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some signs you have white bugs on acros??

I don't have a microscope to confirm, but I suspect I have white bugs.
 
Signs I'm seeing are a few polyps not extended on tenuis and bumps on a smooth skin acro I have that look like this:

1762536592001.png
 
Definitly polyp extention. If you have sometime acros that are doing good and extended but some others are not. That's a sign of bugs.
 
This may be unrelated, but would you mind posting your water test results for this system? Whatever you test for, but I'm interested most in s.g., po4, no3 and how stable/unstable any of your numbers have been over recent history?
 
This may be unrelated, but would you mind posting your water test results for this system? Whatever you test for, but I'm interested most in s.g., po4, no3 and how stable/unstable any of your numbers have been over recent history?
1.0266 s.g. using Tropic Marin Hydrometer
.10-.15 p04 using Hanna ULR HI774
2-5ppm n03 using Hanna HR HI782
8.0-8.5 dKH using Hanna HI772
420-450 Calcium per ICP

I'm on Reef Moonshiners and ICP monthly, so traces are in line as well.
 
Reef Moonshiners
I'm not one of the cool kids who knows all the lingo. ;)

What is this and why are you on it?

And are those numbers you posted all stable (assuming pH is your day/night range)?

Any notable variances or changes recently in the tank overall (other than the coral change)?

Last, how old is the tank and the coral in question?

(All background stuff...I think that's it for the questions. Seems like there's room for more curiosity than we tend to see in these cases, so I'm just wondering some things. I appreciate the info!)
 
I'm not one of the cool kids who knows all the lingo. ;)

What is this and why are you on it?

And are those numbers you posted all stable (assuming pH is your day/night range)?

Any notable variances or changes recently in the tank overall (other than the coral change)?

Last, how old is the tank and the coral in question?

(All background stuff...I think that's it for the questions. Seems like there's room for more curiosity than we tend to see in these cases, so I'm just wondering some things. I appreciate the info!)
https://reefmoonshiners.com/pages/how-it-works
Yes, stable within those ranges. pH is 8-8.3. No other changes. Tank is 3 years old, that corals is about 10 months old.
 
https://reefmoonshiners.com/pages/how-it-works
Yes, stable within those ranges. pH is 8-8.3. No other changes. Tank is 3 years old, that corals is about 10 months old.
Ok I took a look, but they don't say very much on the home page.

I'm guessing the idea is to avoid testing yourself, or to skip water changes or avoid 2-part dosing, or something, maybe all of the above, but please correct me if wrong.

Whatever it is, I guess since you mentioned it my interest was just in why YOU are using it vs whatever you chose not to use? (Do you wonder if it's related to the issue – maybe "not working" somehow?)

Either way maybe it's no big deal...mostly just curiosity on my part, like I said before.

Seems like everything we've looked at is pretty spot-on, for what that's worth. :)
 
What are some signs you have white bugs on acros??

I don't have a microscope to confirm, but I suspect I have white bugs.

If you have a frag you can send, I'd be happy to scope it for you. Of the 25 or so Acros I've received with White Bugs the last few weeks, the Digitatas have been infected the worst (and every single one I got (across multiple orders and vendors) had bugs). If you have an extra one (should be an inch or so) send it over and I can send you a video of the inspection.

For what it's worth, none of the infected corals I scoped exhibited the 'bumps' like the coral in your original post.

*edit: No, this isn't a joke. And also no, I don't need a frag of your Digitata.
 
Ok I took a look, but they don't say very much on the home page.

I'm guessing the idea is to avoid testing yourself, or to skip water changes or avoid 2-part dosing, or something, maybe all of the above, but please correct me if wrong.

Whatever it is, I guess since you mentioned it my interest was just in why YOU are using it vs whatever you chose not to use? (Do you wonder if it's related to the issue – maybe "not working" somehow?)

Either way maybe it's no big deal...mostly just curiosity on my part, like I said before.

Seems like everything we've looked at is pretty spot-on, for what that's worth. :)
Reef moonshiners is basically adding individual trace elements everyday to keep them in a certain range from the icp test. Basically you don’t have to do wc since you keep all levels stable every day. I’m starting to transition to it not fully reef moonshiners but adding trace elements in my 2 part and limit wc
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new