Silencing the corner overflow

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot a marineland 75 gallon reef ready tank. I lived with the noise but it's getting to the point that they set it up with a durso over flow. I thought using both as drains then run the return on the outside of the tank. Is there any other method I can use to silence a durso return/ overflow?

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using both bulkheads to make it a Herbie will be safer and quite. Only so much you can do with a durso

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a dorso in my 220 and always had noise. Could never get it quiet. Had to go to smaller tank when I moved. Now have a 90 with corner over flow. I went with the Herbie and noise is nothing now. That would be my recommendation is turn the bulkheads to main drain then emergency overflow the plumb return over the side. Good luck.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up bean animal return
I have a 75gal cube, set up with this return and ultra silent and safe. Only possible downside is that your return needs to go up the back.

Briefly how it works, you'd need to get all the measurements. I have a 3/4" pipe with a strainer on it, it extends about 3/4 way up the overflow, this pipe has a valve on it under the tank. The larger hole in the overflow has a 1" pipe extending almost all the way up to the water level of the tank. You adjust the valve to bring the waterlevel in the ocerflow just slightly over the larger emergency overflow. This causes the smaller pipe to be a constant suction with no air noise. The larger pipe has just a trickle entering it-quiet also.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn something new everday, for years thought i had a bean ovetflow, its a hetbie.

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key is to have that trickle down the emergency. The learning in this hobby is never ending.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post in the morning been a long long day.

No problems. If the curve of the durso is lower than the weir teeth of the overflow box, it will make a "waterfall noise". If it's making a "toilet flushing" sound, it's either too much flow, or your plumbing causing it. I run durso's on my 125 gallon system and they are dead quite.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 153 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back