How to quiet sump drain line

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Converted a durso to herbie in 90 corner. Did this on my 120 and it’s quiet, no sound. The 90 is obnoxiously loud. Different sumps. The 120 has a trigger sump with the drain compartment that overflows to filter socks. The bashsea just drains through these slit tubes directly into a sock. This just the way it is or a tuning thing?

See vid for reference. I raised the fist gate so top slit in drain tube is submerged but no change in sound.

Attachments

• IMG_6193.mov
    16.9 MB
OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hung a sock on my line with zip ties
I removed the filter sock to show the tubing. I can't tell if it's the tube causing all the noise with the slits or if it's a tuning thing like too much flow. I have a Nautilus DC 1100gph return pump but it's only set to ~50%

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really see in the video, but looks like one of the cut slots is above water line. If so, it's probably water/air mixing at the end. Add a coupler to lower the pipe a bit. I had that issue changing from a single to double overflow pipe with a wet dry sump. The main drain terminating above water caused loud splashing noises.

If not, maybe you can try a reverse durso

Let me give you two ideas that worked for me.

The first I termed a Reverse Durso. Here's what it looks like before installing it:

IMG_0780_zpsreblq0zy.jpg

And here it is installed:

IMG_0779_zpse7p3w2qw.jpg

FYI, this is 1 1/2 pipe for my drain, but will work for any size pipe.

The second bubble trap I termed the Rube Goldberg bubble trap. The drawing of it looks like this.....again, the input pipe is 1 1/2:

IMG_2248.jpg

It's not on the above drawing, but the bottom of the three inch pipe does have a knockout test cap closing it off....

IMG_7446_zpsa868fbd2.jpg

And the reducing bushing on the top, going from 1 1/2 to 3 inches has multiple holes drilled to allow air to escape.

Here is the Rube Goldberg installed:

IMG_2306.jpg

Both of these designs worked very well.....no bubbles! Hope this gives you some ideas.

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really see in the video, but looks like one of the cut slots is above water line. If so, it's probably water/air mixing at the end. Add a coupler to lower the pipe a bit. I had that issue changing from a single to double overflow pipe with a wet dry sump. The main drain terminating above water caused loud splashing noises.

If not, maybe you can try a reverse durso
Thanks. I actually raised the gate in the first compartment to submerge the slit but it really didn't dampen the sound that I could tell. I'll see if I can lower the tube to get it submerged further.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's like
I removed the filter sock to show the tubing. I can't tell if it's the tube causing all the noise with the slits or if it's a tuning thing like too much flow. I have a Nautilus DC 1100gph return pump but it's only set to ~50%
If it's like mine it's surface noise. Mysump is different than yours I also use batin it really helps. I get it in a fabric store meant for stuffing pillows ect and cheap. Don't know if you can put it in yours but I can't see why not

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back