Silica dosing

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers looking to dose silica to the tank I have a 200 gallon I was wondering if this will work or is there a brand I need to use and how much to does and what level not to exceed

IMG_2524.png

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a silica test kit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was gonna by the Hanna high range checker

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna by the Hanna high range checker
My well water comes from Trinity Aquifier at 1000’ with a TDS at 900ppm. This Aquifier was a shallow inland sea that was loaded with diatoms and now the tds includes high silicates. Because I focus on both cryptic & utilitarian sponges that are ornamental, I decided to add silicates without a test kit.

Guess what!
When I dosed the first drop of silicate liquid concentrate, it crystallized and drifted to the bottom.
I was already saturated with silicates. However, not only are silicates good for sponges they are a limiting source of nutrient for diatoms which are a type of phytoplankton that recycles nutrients up thru the microbial loop.

“The study of diatoms is a branch of phycology. Diatoms are classified as eukaryotes, organisms with a nuclear envelope-bound cell nucleus, that separates them from the prokaryotes archaea and bacteria. Diatoms are a type of plankton called phytoplankton, the most common of the plankton types. Diatoms also grow attached to benthic substrates, floating debris, and on macrophytes. They comprise an integral component of the periphyton community.[22] Another classification divides plankton into eight types based on size: in this scheme, diatoms are classed as microalgae. Several systems for classifying the individual diatom species exist.”

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was gonna buy the Hanna high range checker

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back