Silica dosing Brightwell Spongexcel and measuring with Hanna UL HI705 tester..confirm calculation

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am battling Dino's and am going to dose Brightwell Spongexcel. I am also using the Hanna HI705 silica tester. I wanted to confirm my dosing calculation to make sure I did not miscalculate before I dose.

Tank = 100GL
Assume SI - 0 to start
I want to raise to 1.2PPM (eventually 2ppm) but 1.2ppm for this calculation.

Dosing instructions = 1Drop = .20ppm/gl. That would be 5 drops per gallon for 1ppm, I believe.

So. I believe the calculation is target (1.2ppm) * gallons (100) * 5 (drops per gallon)
= 500 drops added = 1.2ppm
OR
500 drops / (20drops per ML) = 25ML dosage = 1.2ppm.

are my calculations correct?

Then....I believe the Hanna Silica ULR Tester measures in SiO2. Does that mean I need to calculate by .467 to get the silicon equivalent, or is the Hanna Silica number the actual ppm amount?

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your calculations they are correct. 100/0.20d=500d
I have never used the Hanna Silica, so someone else will have to give you wisdom for that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am battling Dino's and am going to dose Brightwell Spongexcel. I am also using the Hanna HI705 silica tester. I wanted to confirm my dosing calculation to make sure I did not miscalculate before I dose.

Tank = 100GL
Assume SI - 0 to start
I want to raise to 1.2PPM (eventually 2ppm) but 1.2ppm for this calculation.

Dosing instructions = 1Drop = .20ppm/gl. That would be 5 drops per gallon for 1ppm, I believe.

So. I believe the calculation is target (1.2ppm) * gallons (100) * 5 (drops per gallon)
= 500 drops added = 1.2ppm
OR
500 drops / (20drops per ML) = 25ML dosage = 1.2ppm.

are my calculations correct?

Then....I believe the Hanna Silica ULR Tester measures in SiO2. Does that mean I need to calculate by .467 to get the silicon equivalent, or is the Hanna Silica number the actual ppm amount?

Hanna says

Range 0.00 to 2.00 ppm (as SiO2)

Thus it measures in SiO2.

That said, concentrations are not at all critical in silicate dosing.

Why do you want to know the Si equivalent? It's easy to get, but not needed. Are you trying to match an ICP suggestion?

For general use, I recommend dosing 1 ppm SiO2 every week or so. In a dino problem situation, dosing more is fine. The Brightwell product may be fine, but I generally recommend a DIY using waterglass.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the dumb question but I thought you wanted less silica if you are battling dinos.

Nope. Dinos do not use silicate at all, but diatoms, which may outcompete dinos, do need silicate. :)

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna says

Range 0.00 to 2.00 ppm (as SiO2)

Thus it measures in SiO2.

That said, concentrations are not at all critical in silicate dosing.

Why do you want to know the Si equivalent? It's easy to get, but not needed. Are you trying to match an ICP suggestion?

For general use, I recommend dosing 1 ppm SiO2 every week or so. In a dino problem situation, dosing more is fine. The Brightwell product may be fine, but I generally recommend a DIY using waterglass.

HI Randy,

I am dosing it to battle Dino's. I wasn't sure if I needed to do the conversion for a more precise amount, but sounds like based on our response, I do not. Just wanted to make sure before I dose 20-25ml to my tank, that my calculation was correct.

I will read your article linked above..appreciate it.

One other question. As I dose the Spongexcel silica, what am I supposed to see as it relates to diatoms? Is it as simple as a brown film on the glass? How do I know that diatoms are populating? What am I looking for?

thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are seeing the glass turn from green growth to yellowish brown, that is the diatom growth, and if you do not see such a change, I'd dose more.

Diatoms use up silicate pretty fast, so an overdose is not a big deal.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy,

so what negative things will happen as I dose up to 2ppm to fight Dino's? I know I will get the brown film on the glass, but what else should I expect? Will this cause an algae bloom? I have read about the benefits to sponges and other organisms. If I dose weekly to try to maintain 2ppm, will I create a new problem? And just to be transparent, my nutrients bottomed out which caused Dino's (or at least that is my belief). My offense on this is to

Dose NeoPhos to stay between .03 - 1ppm
Dose NeoNitrate to stay between 5-10ppm
Weekly dose bacteria...Dr. Tim's or Brightwell Bacter7
Dose Spongexcel to add silicates and Diatoms as a result to fight the food chain again Dino's

am I missing anything?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back