Silversides as a nutritious shark food item?

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Does anyone know if the San Francisco Bay brand Sally's Frozen Silversides are marine or freshwater caught?

I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, the problem with silver sides, marketed for the marine hobby, isn't where they were caught. It's the fact that we don't have a USDA to govern and watch over the handling of such a product. There are no quality standards imposed on these companies, other than those imposed by themselves. The silver sides can be thawed and refrozen multiple times in the chain of possession between the fishermen and our aquariums. Fish, with internal organs intact, rot very quickly if not kept frozen, or otherwise preserved. Spoiled food can be just as dangerous, if not worse, for the animals we keep, as it is for us. There are countless anecdotal reports of hobbyists loosing their prized pets to spoiled silver sides. This is why I personally would never buy silver sides marketed to the aquarium hobby. There is a wide range of alternatives to be found at your local fresh seafood market.
JMHO
Peace
EC

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
San Francisco's brand is Menidia menedia, caught in the waters of the Atlantic around New York. Yes, they are a saltwater variety.

Much like Mr. Elegance above, silversides has fallen out of my favour. All frozen foods can pose risks if not stored properly, yet the innards of an intact silverside make them a greater risk. You don't only have to worry about the guts and the enyzymes found within, but you also have to worry about what was IN the gut when they died... that can rot too.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the input! I want to offer my sharks the absolute best quality food available within reason. I currently offer my sharks oceanic shrimp, squid, mussels, and scallops. I want to incorporate some fish diet but my local seafood market only offers the previous listed items plus wild salmon, tuna, cod, Canadian (lake) smelt, oysters, clams.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed them allllll of that from the market.... even the smelt. Treat wild salmon and farmed salmon (when available) as two different fish, as their nutritional profiles are so different. Try to get some cod in there as a lot of that food has thiaminase in it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back