Simple Kalkwasser dosing

jnh427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see Kalk dosed from ATO reservoir, or those fancy stirrer/reactors. I've also seen it simply dripped in.
My question is: is there any reason why you couldn't just put it in a dosing container and dose with a peristaltic pump attached to a timer/controller?
I understand you might need to stir it and clean the container, so it should be in a separate container that other things that are dosed. I also understand you need to avoid the layer at the top or sludge at the bottom. I also understand that the amount needs to be less than the daily evaporation.

thanks in advance

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of peristaltic pumps do not have the ability to deliver the daily volume required and/or have issues running 24/7.

I used a Reef Filler pump (may not be made any more) to deliver from my very large limewater reservoir (130 gallon; 3 x 44 gal Brute cans plumbed together) . It is a different type of pump, a diaphragm pump. Noisy, but can run 24/7 and can deliver plenty.

Joepeace510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen lots of videos about dosing Kalk with a pump and I also dosed with a Kamoer. Think I wasn’t dosing enough as I had no effect on my ALK or CAL dosing 210ml a day. I only wanted to keep them stable with only a minor drop of .2 DKH a day. Maybe it wasn’t enough ‍♂️

Possible yes, I just think my set amount wasn’t enough. I went back to just hand dosing for the mean time.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back