Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Im at a loss here. I even raised the skimmer with no results

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see Prime in your stand, did you use this to condition the water?
If so, this is why you are having so much micro-bubbles.

There are a number of reasons why microbubbles can occur, many responses on here are correct, many are not. Additives are a huge cause of microbubbles especially in a brand new system with little to no bioload. I saw that you have not used Prime, but MP7 will certainly cause bubbles as well in a brand new system. So does other bacterial supplements, clarifiers that come inside bags of sand, dechlorinators etc. Even fresh mixed seawater often makes skimmers go a bit bonkers.

I think you are expecting to much from a cheap skimmer. This thing is cheap for a reason, the pump and controller are pretty crappy and there are a lot of gaps for the bubbles to get out but it mostly works so decent reviews. A high end skimmer will cost you 2-3x and idk if you really get that much better results
This is flat out false. Our skimmers function just as well as those 2-3x the price and believing the cost determines the quality is just flat wrong. Sure are their skimmers with pumps made in Germany or something that are better? Of course, but a flat statement about the quality of our skimmer based on price is bogus. As you can see from the previous post or two, they do a great job creating some nasty skimmate.

I saw many posts about running the skimmer at lower than full speeds. I highly recommend anyone running a skimmer read our tuning guide as I believe many of you simply do not have the skimmer tuned to operate at peak performance which is why you have bubbles. For example the OP stating he was running the air wide open, this is not properly tuned.

Water depth may also be at play here. 9" is great for the 320 as I believe someone mentioned, however the 120 should be closer to 7-8".

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of reasons why microbubbles can occur, many responses on here are correct, many are not. Additives are a huge cause of microbubbles especially in a brand new system with little to no bioload. I saw that you have not used Prime, but MP7 will certainly cause bubbles as well in a brand new system. So does other bacterial supplements, clarifiers that come inside bags of sand, dechlorinators etc. Even fresh mixed seawater often makes skimmers go a bit bonkers.

This is flat out false. Our skimmers function just as well as those 2-3x the price and believing the cost determines the quality is just flat wrong. Sure are their skimmers with pumps made in Germany or something that are better? Of course, but a flat statement about the quality of our skimmer based on price is bogus. As you can see from the previous post or two, they do a great job creating some nasty skimmate.

I saw many posts about running the skimmer at lower than full speeds. I highly recommend anyone running a skimmer read our tuning guide as I believe many of you simply do not have the skimmer tuned to operate at peak performance which is why you have bubbles. For example the OP stating he was running the air wide open, this is not properly tuned.

Water depth may also be at play here. 9" is great for the 320 as I believe someone mentioned, however the 120 should be closer to 7-8".
Hello, yes MB7 was used to seed my tank during the first week. However it has not been used in over a week. 0 additives have been added to the tank, besides RO top off and frozen brine for the fish. I have no doubt the skimmer works, but it has not for me. Hence why i need help. I have tried, open closed you name it with no result. To include several water levels. Here are my latest settings D7715494-7CB1-4290-9B93-FC001355DAEE.jpeg 280DE262-37B1-4F9C-BC30-62EA1D61FD2D.jpeg

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Simplicity Aquatics
Ok so as per your email, I will attempt to tune this for the 4th time

1. Set the water level adjustment knob pointing arrow to arrow. 87CE3F78-4497-4BC2-A18A-19C62847BEAC.jpeg
  2. Close the air intake adjustment valve all the way and then open it back-up approximately half a turn or 180 degrees. Make small adjustments to the air valve and observe the water level. The goal is to get the highest level of bubbles inside the skimmer body. Do NOT make any additional adjustments for 24 hours.
    B77C8405-F4AE-4BF7-A144-B4A65E8017C4.jpeg 7D17B252-A7BD-484B-A887-69FDD349CF0E.jpeg
Set Pump to 100% 85762F1E-62CA-4BF1-8C7B-A1650725E548.jpeg
Wait 24 Hrs

Last edited:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to use a silicone spatula to clean the neck of the my Simplicity DC 240 on my 120 gallon tank.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Simplicity Aquatics
Ok so as per your email, I will attempt to tune this for the 4th time

1. Set the water level adjustment knob pointing arrow to arrow. 87CE3F78-4497-4BC2-A18A-19C62847BEAC.jpeg
  2. Close the air intake adjustment valve all the way and then open it back-up approximately half a turn or 180 degrees. Make small adjustments to the air valve and observe the water level. The goal is to get the highest level of bubbles inside the skimmer body. Do NOT make any additional adjustments for 24 hours.
    B77C8405-F4AE-4BF7-A144-B4A65E8017C4.jpeg 7D17B252-A7BD-484B-A887-69FDD349CF0E.jpeg
Set Pump to 100% 85762F1E-62CA-4BF1-8C7B-A1650725E548.jpeg
Wait 24 Hrs

Any update? If you can provide some additional photos or a video I am happy to offer additional assistance.

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? If you can provide some additional photos or a video I am happy to offer additional assistance.
Greetings, well good and bad news.
Good seems like i started to produce some skimmate after the 24 hrs, very milky liquid but something.
Bad, i have a bacteria bloom of some sort, and its throwing everything out of wack..
When it rains it pours. Also Microbubbles remain,that has not seen any improvement . I will continue to update in following days.

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so just hrs after speaking with the guys at @Simplicity Aquatics , the improvements are night and day and getting better by the hr. I cant rave enough how much this has helped, and the amazing support that they provided me. Here are some photos of the improvements. Even the dreaded microbubbles have began to disappear I will continue to monitor and update my progress.

Air Valve continues in the same spot, and as of now seems to be what working for me.
IMG_5097.jpg

Wedge pipe slightly adjusted , from original place. Slowly but surely it seems to be finding its sweet spot.
IMG_5098.jpg

Water Level Steady at 7 inches , this too seems to be the spot
IMG_5099.jpg

End Result.. Very Nice Foamy Goodness.
IMG_5096.jpg

PS. PUMP SPEED CONTINUES AT MAX SPEED.

Last edited:

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so just hrs after speaking with the guys at @Simplicity Aquatics , the improvements are night and day and getting better by the hr. I cant rave enough how much this has helped, and the amazing support that they provided me. Here are some photos of the improvements. Even the dreaded microbubbles have began to disappear I will continue to monitor and update my progress.

Air Valve continues in the same spot, and as of now seems to be what working for me.
IMG_5097.jpg

Wedge pipe slightly adjusted , from original place. Slowly but surely it seems to be finding its sweet spot.
IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

Good to hear you got it working.

Maureen Hey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

Thanks for the amazing post...full of great info that has mine finally ( 2weeks of messing around and a CO2 scrubber attached) looking good and nice icky foam LOL...appreciate your help and the pics...is it still working well for you?

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the amazing post...full of great info that has mine finally ( 2weeks of messing around and a CO2 scrubber attached) looking good and nice icky foam LOL...appreciate your help and the pics...is it still working well for you?
Hey glad is working for you. Take some trial and error but when it you get it dialed on wellll . You tell me @Simplicity Aquatics , is it working right? LOL
E8FD6FB2-1B06-42FB-9B79-E3F5CEB71AF4.jpeg

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Glad to hear you are making progress. We appreciate the kind words.

@Maureen Hey Did you determine the CO2 scrubber was causing problems? Would love to hear more so we can help others who contact us with similar issues. I get lots of questions about running scrubbers on our skimmers.

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Maureen Hey Did you determine the CO2 scrubber was causing problems? Would love to hear more so we can help others who contact us with similar issues. I get lots of questions about running scrubbers on our skimmers.
Likewise. I have been thinking about adding a scrubber for PH boost. I actually added a line to the outside.

Maureen Hey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For sure it seems the scrubber was my nemesis...LOL...I a still fine tuning and have used the silencer from my old skimmer in between the scrubber and the skimmer ( waiting for a proper inline air valve to arrive) but am definitely getting some nice skim in the cup and my PH is looking better...will get there ...really appreciate @branbray07 's post...it helped tremendously to drop the water level as well...7 inches of water seems like my sweet spot also... any additional suggestions are appreciated and welcome - pretty new to the skimmer game but do love this skimmer

OP
OP
branbray07

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure it seems the scrubber was my nemesis...LOL...I a still fine tuning and have used the silencer from my old skimmer in between the scrubber and the skimmer ( waiting for a proper inline air valve to arrive) but am definitely getting some nice skim in the cup and my PH is looking better...will get there ...really appreciate @branbray07 's post...it helped tremendously to drop the water level as well...7 inches of water seems like my sweet spot also... any additional suggestions are appreciated and welcome - pretty new to the skimmer game but do love this skimmer
Best advise, tune it slowww. Mark the Air silencer like i did. Kinda like a clock or levels i guess. To help you know how much you have opened it or closed it

Maureen Hey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advise, tune it slowww. Mark the Air silencer like i did. Kinda like a clock or levels i guess. To help you know how much you have opened it or closed it
yep...with the co2 scrubber in play it's a little more challenging but more confident I'll get the perfect "tweak" ...sooner rather than later without sacrificing my PH too much...lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back