Single Anthias what’s the longest you’ve kept one ?

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I can keep this one alive for a few years he’s in the fish trap but already eating and swimming good

A8F41E32-7AF2-42DD-A332-F364591B7B5A.jpeg

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving this gal already! She Very active and chill.

Curious what other Anthias can I mix with her, seems I might not go the fathead route was considering another scribble and Lyretail

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im so far at a little over a year with 6

360feed3.jpg

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not try to keep Anthias allone. The fish will be very unhappy and not live long.
Anthias are not able to develop there natural behavior when not in group and need at least 80cm ( + 30") of water for a small comunity.
For a healty Anthias comunity live food is needed. They are not suitable for LNS systems. High in- and output systems are recomended.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one left of a trio for over 10 years. The first one died during a major tank clean out, by hiding in a rock I removed from the tank. When I realized 2 fish were missing I found one on the towel the rock was set on. That one was out of the water 5 minutes before making it back in the dt. When i placed her back in she just sunk, but gills were moving slowly so I held her in front of the return to push water through her gills and after a few minutes I let her go and she swam down in the rock. I didnt see her for a day. Than she came out for food the next day and stayed out like normal. The other one that died was really deep in the rock and I didnt see her till she was dead.. That was 4-5 years ago.
Recently I broke down the tank due to aiptasia and thought I was being very thorough to make sure and check only to loose her this time to the same thing. Deep inside the rock unnoticed until she died. Sucks cause now I just have the one. Ill probably get a couple more. I dont know how long they live but they are hardy and 10 plus years is along time I would think.
A few major tank overhauls, 2 houses, and few transfers and never had any health issues with any other than the loses. Strong fish when there happy.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two years ago I ordered 3 bartletts and within 6 months I was down to 1. The remaining male is the most aggressive fish in the tank and is constantly chasing every chromis and wrasse non-stop. I wish I could catch it and re-home it, but I don't want to tear apart the tank. I have a one year old single & very peaceful randall in another tank.

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not try to keep Anthias allone. The fish will be very unhappy and not live long.
Anthias are not able to develop there natural behavior when not in group and need at least 80cm ( + 30") of water for a small comunity.
For a healty Anthias comunity live food is needed. They are not suitable for LNS systems. High in- and output systems are recomended.

What do you consider not long ? And what is this based on? I was just curious because a friend had one alone for many years without any issues, very active fish.

I’m curious does anyone know their average life span ?

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two years ago I ordered 3 bartletts and within 6 months I was down to 1. The remaining male is the most aggressive fish in the tank and is constantly chasing every chromis and wrasse non-stop. I wish I could catch it and re-home it, but I don't want to tear apart the tank. I have a one year old single & very peaceful randall in another tank.

This seem to be norm the same goes for chromis and this was my other reason for thinking about this aren’t chromis “schooling” fish as well many seem to buy them in bulks and always end up with a single one, and why does this trio or school doesn’t apply to chromis ?

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I measure the fish happiness? The scribble it’s already starting to claim his area next to the cleaner shrimp for a quick clean in the AM and is eating frozen well, it’s the first fish out in the morning and stays active through out the day. I did noticed compared to my other anthias this one likes chunks of frozen not the lil pieces hopefully he does the monkey see monkey do and starts eating pellets soon I been feeding Frozen 3 times and 2x pellets to try to accommodate her, my LFS is starting to sell live brine so once or twice a week they will be eating live food! All LFS should do this

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those impossible questions, the anthias we commonly see for sale belong to a number of separate genus, Luzonichthys, Nemanthias, Odontanthias, Plectranthias and Pseudanthias, to name a few.

Each genus (and probably species) has different needs, some group in massive shoals and swim in open water, some group in in massive shoals close to the bottom, some in small groups in shallow water, some in small groups in deep water, some singly, some act like Hawkfish.

Some have high metabolism, and logically they have shorter lifespans than others. Can they be kept singly yes of course they can, will they live longer or shorter lives than ones kept in a group- if you read the posts on here about, for example, Bartletts, it would seem singles live longer because they kill each other.

This is why it is an impossible question, would we pose the question 'how long will Angelfish live?' or would we qualify it. That's why Belgian Anthias's reply is both right and wrong.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My single Randall is going on 4 years in my tank. He is about 2.5 inches long. Starting to look skinny and think he may not live much longer

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 165 49.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 30 9.1%
Back