Single Best Piece of Equipment?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. I like my apex. Coupled with the Trident, and DOS pumps, it's a real time saver.

Single best? Nope. Still, I'm happy with it.

The one bit of reefing gear I'll never be without again? Hanna Phosphate ULR.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a relatively young reefer what is y'alls favorite or best piece of equipment to purchase for the reef tank? My own personal question is, is something like the apex controller actually worth it?

UV

Edit. Maybe my Avast Ozone reactor. That thing is dem teddies.....

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lights, flow, and filtration.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to apex? Pft some people just don’t know because they don’t HAVE or cannot afford. The apex makes life soooo much easier, especially when I’m away. The trident testing water etc everything is monitored. If there’s a problem, I just call my buddy or the lfs our to check on it. Granted, that wasn’t my favorite thing to buy. Probably enjoyed getting the tank and stand more because opening that crate made me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And most important pieces of equipment are light, skimmer, and dosers. Don’t skimp in that area. And meh. The tunze mar isn’t worth it imo. Get a good fuge light and your cheato will grow just as well. I have the prime fuge and it grows better then my MAR. The PAX Bellum is a different story though. And 4x the price ;)

Raptor777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No to apex? Pft some people just don’t know because they don’t HAVE or cannot afford. The apex makes life soooo much easier, especially when I’m away. The trident testing water etc everything is monitored. If there’s a problem, I just call my buddy or the lfs our to check on it. Granted, that wasn’t my favorite thing to buy. Probably enjoyed getting the tank and stand more because opening that crate made me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
Not true at all, I have owned an Apex and wasn't all impressed and there is equipment way more important IMO

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would do it more as a priority ranking

1- filtration ie: sump/skimmer (I like the Eshopps S series skimmers and the Nyos skimmers)
2 - lighting (Hydras or Radions)
3 - power heads (I'm a Gyre fan)
4 - controller (Apex) I disagree the Apex's aren't worth it, as I find mine makes it easier for me to be successful with my reef - note that it makes it easier but it doesn't do it for you. However, it doesn't matter if you have an Apex if it's controlling stuff that doesn't work

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back