Best automation equipment?

ryanc1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm still in the cycle but I want to start getting prepared to add to my set up in the future. Most of my current equipment is controllable via app but I'm looking for your guidance on what automation sysems you recommend. I've looked at apex and hydros so far.

Lights: 2 x hydra 32
Return: sicce syncra sdc 6.0
In tank flow: ai orbit 4 and nero7
Ato: duetto2
Heater: 600w w/ finner controller-says its not apex compatible
Skimmer: reef octopus regal 150sss 6" varios (not installed yet)

Tank: 100 gall display, 33 gal sump

Goals for automation: feeding, dosing/ parameter monitoring, scheduling

TIA

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the apex.
For the heater that is “not”, it is. Just set the plug to turn off if the temp gets over what your heater controller is set to. Let the controller do the work and use the apex as a fail safe

Saltysav96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hydros all the way. my whole tank is ran off hydros and i love it! easy to program, push notifications, text and email alerts. i control everything from my ATO, Kalk stirrer/doser, heater, UV, hydros fish feeder, and so much more.
currently running the
x4
xp8
x10/IV
wave engine

they just announced new hydros maven last night which automates testing for alk, calcium, magnesium, nitrate and phosphate. (next on my shopping list)

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome!
just my 2c but unless you've operated a reef system previously the only automated equipment i'm adding is the ato for now.
going through the process of feeding gives you information which fish are eating and which might not be.
-Its going to be months (possibly even over a year) before a dosing system is required and depending on what you keep for corals may not be required at all.
-imo parameter monitoring should be the last piece of equipment you add. it pays to have a good understanding of how your tank consumes the major elements via test kits and chances are, in its young state the tank is going to experience erratic swings as it stabilizes.
i'm all for tech and own most of the items you have planned but you'll likely have your hands full with the chemistry, biology, general tank maintenance challenges and the biggest of them all, fighting the temptation to rush yourself into an established tank.
again, just lessons i learned spending when i should have been patient haha

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks (180g and 200g) and i did the first year or so without any automation - not even an ATO. I added 2 Apex controllers and 2 ATO's and 2 basic dosing pumps and that helped a lot. Later I added a Trident (tests Alk, Cal and Magnesium) and updated my ATO's to Red sea (you can see the flow of water on the app). Additionally, i changed to Red Sea 4 head doser so you can also control dosing via the app and adjust as needed from wherever you are (like traveling). I still do manual tests to confirm the Trident (as well as Phos and Nitrate) but def love how automation helps me feel secure, especially when away.

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all have their pros and cons. Myself I've bought into the Hydros system and like what I see so far. I also got an Alkatronic which can feed alk result data into the Hydros (this was pre-Maven...might get one of those too).

I like the build quality, ease of setup/programming, and their distributed nature. I plan to put an auto water change system in a room about 20ft from my tank where my RO/DI will be and I'd like to have Hydros control in there as well in the same collective.

They seem to have the momentum in innovating right now. I only hope they dedicate more time to adding software enhancements instead of just adding new products.

OP
OP
R

ryanc1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome!
just my 2c but unless you've operated a reef system previously the only automated equipment i'm adding is the ato for now.
going through the process of feeding gives you information which fish are eating and which might not be.
-Its going to be months (possibly even over a year) before a dosing system is required and depending on what you keep for corals may not be required at all.
-imo parameter monitoring should be the last piece of equipment you add. it pays to have a good understanding of how your tank consumes the major elements via test kits and chances are, in its young state the tank is going to experience erratic swings as it stabilizes.
i'm all for tech and own most of the items you have planned but you'll likely have your hands full with the chemistry, biology, general tank maintenance challenges and the biggest of them all, fighting the temptation to rush yourself into an established tank.
again, just lessons i learned spending when i should have been patient haha
100% agree with this and it's the plan to take a hands on approach as i navigate through the hobby, i already have some Hanna test kits lol . But I'm big into automation and being able to control all through one system, plus the added redundancy is a big selling point for me.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back