Single Candy Cane Head Dying

TingeOfGinge

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2026
Messages
41
Reaction score
24
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this candy cane coral a few months ago. It's been doing pretty well overall, but this one one head has been slowly dying and I'm not sure why. The other three heads look great and are puffy during daylight hours.
cc-blue.jpg cc-white1.jpg cc-white2.jpg cc-white3.jpg
Pictures aren't great, but I did my best. The left-most head is the sad one. The tissue on the bottom of the head is barely touching the rim of the skeleton opening and the rest is on the outer edge. The mouth is sometimes gaping and sometimes closed. The head itself never puffs up.
It looks like there's a pineapple sponge growing below the sad head. There's also a vermitid snail tube, but I glued that up a couple of weeks ago. The glue was taken off yesterday by my urchin, which it's now using as a hat!
I'm fairly new to this so I just wanted to make sure there's nothing I should be doing for it and if the head ends up dying, whether I need to do anything so that the rest of the coral will have a chance to survive.

Parameters:
29 gallon reef. Running carbon but no other additives. Other LPS and softies look happy. IO purple bucket salt.
Calcium: 412 (Hanna)
Alk: rock steady at 9.9
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8.2-ish (Salifert, hard to read the colors)
Nitrate: 15-ish (Salifert)
Phosphate: 0.18-ish (Nyos, have a Hanna in the mail)


Thanks!
 
Doesn’t look like it’s dying to me. It’s not melting or turning white and I don’t see skeleton poking out. Personally I would just wait and see at this point.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new