single halide aquarium lighting solution!

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthony Calfo talks about using this motorized metal halide bracket to lite bigger tanks. From what he says the hydroponics people have been doing it for some time and that's where he use to get his supplies from. Beyond the savings on electricity, another benefit he mentionds is that since the MH system is moving the light direction changes, so that areas that may be shaded with normal top down setups would now get more light. You SPS guys wouldn't see areas on your colonies with slow growth due to shading. Another interesting topic to this is the ability to change the path and time that the MH light uses to travel around the track. You can make it continuous, or have it move a small bit over intervals. This would allow you to have a left to right light cycle almost like the sun moving over the horizon.

A downfall he speaks about is the loudness of the system. He says that the lower end units can be very loud when they crank on and that placing this in your living room can be very obnoxious.

He talks about this topic and much more on http://www.reefvideos.com/ click on either his audio only version or the one that says Anthony Calfo Video (Toronto 2006)

Last edited:

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty cool idea. Thanks for the link Ficklefins. Ive never been to that site before. They have some pretty cool videos.

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a light rail over one of my prop tanks. Tried running the halide back and forth over 2 tanks, but wasn't getting enough light, so I am now just running it a short distance over one tank, about 4 feet. Thats with a 400 watt MH. If I had something like a 1,000 watt bulb, I could see running it over several tanks.

J

JnS

View Badges
pretty sure foster's and smith's use these at their Rhinlander, WI location...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 39 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back