Single specimen ideas for 29 gallon reef tank

CaliCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
So Im getting a 29 gallon reef going and I am interested in doing a single centerpiece fish or other single specimen creature for my tank. I'd also be interested in a species only tank with more than one of the same. I feel like this strategy will make feeding, compatability and control simpler for me. I am also assuming that I can potentially get a reasonably larger fish/creature than if I had 3 or 4 small fish. I have my eye on a single dwarf lion fish as my first thought, but I would love to hear some suggestions! Thanks.

OP
OP
C

CaliCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be cool. I'm sure seahorses would be a fun challenge. I like the idea of macroalgaes too because I was planning on adding some in my display anyway!

OP
OP
C

CaliCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogfish are awesome, but I think they might be a little too inactive for this tank. Don't they kind of hang out most of the time in one spot and not move much?

OP
OP
C

CaliCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually really like the idea of anemones and a bunch of clowns. My concern is that the tank is too small to have enough clowns to minimize aggression. How many do you think would work?

OP
OP
C

CaliCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since this is a 29 gallon.. how many clowns would work for a harem with RBTA? I'm thinking 6-8 total but thats probably pushing it and I wonder about aggression in with that small of a group. The only harem tanks I've seen are 15+. Anyone have success with a small harem?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do several small fish. Some possibilities would be a fire fish, a Bengai cardinal, a chromis, a small gobi, or a basslet. You could probably have 3 or maybe 4 fish.

OP
OP
C

CaliCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I figured a harem wouldn't work. A few small fish is how I might end up going but I'd prefer one slightly bigger specimen fish/creature. At this point I'm thinking either a single dwarf lion, or dwarf angel, or a mix of small fish.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Marine giant hermit crab or a mantis shrimp would be awesome. At some point the crab would need a bigger tank but you could keep it for a while.

This is Tamatoa
Screenshot_20200802-110629.png
20200812_161652_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
C

CaliCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That crab is pretty neat! I still have a few weeks till my cycle should be good, but I'm kind of leaning towards a dwarf lion fish. I'm just a little freaked out about getting stung lol.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That crab is pretty neat! I still have a few weeks till my cycle should be good, but I'm kind of leaning towards a dwarf lion fish. I'm just a little freaked out about getting stung lol.
Ya I had volition lion for a few yrs, it's very different having a creature like that. You always have to be very aware of what it's doing while your working in the tsnk

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back