Single specimen ideas for 29 gallon reef tank

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I figured a harem wouldn't work. A few small fish is how I might end up going but I'd prefer one slightly bigger specimen fish/creature. At this point I'm thinking either a single dwarf lion, or dwarf angel, or a mix of small fish.
Eh, a anemone tank even with two clownfish is something truly great looking. Don't write it off!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....a single species tank that only has a pair of fish in it at maximum...my breeder senses are tingling...and 18" is a very decent spawning height as well...

Probably any fish that is 5" or less, kept in a breeding pair ((I believe that most fish should have a max size of 1/6 the tank length in order to allow for swimming room). I've compiled a list for ya, with the bolded ones being the top of my top picks, and the underlined ones being subjects of contention probably:
  • Any of the angelfish, although if you're going for a species tank, might as well go for the gold and get a pair of the more lucrative ones like flame angels, or...abei angels...
  • One can't go wrong with a pair of cardinalfish, clownfish, grammas/assessors, or dottybacks. But I find the banggai cardinalfish, Macneilli's Assessor, and Elongate dottyback to be prime candidates.
  • People sleep on them for some reason, but if you're looking for a pair of small personable fish, then damselfish (especally the yellowtail demoiselle) may be for you. But then again I'm heavily biased, since these were the first fish I ever formed a pair of, or kept in the hobby.
  • For a more stately fish, the dragonets can't be beaten. You just have to educate yourself on how to supplement their diet with cultured worms and artemia (hint: look up PaulB)
  • A pair of longnose hawkfish are slightly more active than your typical frogfish, but still have an interesting dynamic in the aquarium.
  • A pair of Fu manchu or dwarf lionfish would be a wild aquarium. But I've heard of the dwarf lionfish being hard to get to feed on dead foods, so be prepared to do some training/taming.
  • Like others have said, a single species seahorse aquarium (probably H. erectus or H. reidi) would look cool. But I'm a bigger fan of reef pipefish, like the blue-lined pipe
  • If damsels aren't your jam, a single Canthigaster toby (or maybe a pair!) may be what you're looking for. They're a very good "pet" fish, and very smart as well. Just make sure to feed them enough clams.
  • Finally, if you're into cryptic species, possum wrasses may be for you. They're shy, and rather unlike their cousins, the sixline and yellow/banana/chrysus wrasses.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the budget for it, a large group of Discordipinna griessingeri (flaming prawn goby) would look awesome and with no other species and enough of them they might not be so shy. Not cheap though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back