Hammer: Is this a new head growing?

AlaskanWaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Newbie here. Curious if this might be a new head starting on my hammer, or some other life form? I haven’t witnessed any new head growth yet, so not sure what I’m looking for.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3975.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, definitely looks like aptasia (a pest anemone that can take over your tank). You will definitly want to remove it. . . there are a couple ways of doing this. . . I think people squirt kalkwasser paste or lemon juice directly into the aptasea's mouth to kill them, though I have never tried this. You can manually remove it, but I would do so outside of the tank, make sure you get all of it, rinse the coral afterwords, and superglue over the spot the aptasia was on. . . The later method I have used with success but I do not know that it is the preferred method. . .

This is probably better info than I can give haha

OP
OP
AlaskanWaters

AlaskanWaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, definitely looks like aptasia (a pest anemone that can take over your tank). You will definitly want to remove it. . . there are a couple ways of doing this. . . I think people squirt kalkwasser paste or lemon juice directly into the aptasea's mouth to kill them, though I have never tried this. You can manually remove it, but I would do so outside of the tank, make sure you get all of it, rinse the coral afterwords, and superglue over the spot the aptasia was on. . . The later method I have used with success but I do not know that it is the preferred method. . .

This is probably better info than I can give haha

Thank you! I like the idea of removing it outside of the tank and supergluing over where it was. So far I don’t see any others (not to say there isn’t any others that I’m just not seeing yet). I appreciate the advice!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back