Hammer: Is this a new head growing?

AlaskanWaters

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2024
Messages
21
Reaction score
7
Location
Eagle River, Alaska
What state or country do you live in
Alaska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Newbie here. Curious if this might be a new head starting on my hammer, or some other life form? I haven’t witnessed any new head growth yet, so not sure what I’m looking for.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3975.jpeg
 
Yeah, definitely looks like aptasia (a pest anemone that can take over your tank). You will definitly want to remove it. . . there are a couple ways of doing this. . . I think people squirt kalkwasser paste or lemon juice directly into the aptasea's mouth to kill them, though I have never tried this. You can manually remove it, but I would do so outside of the tank, make sure you get all of it, rinse the coral afterwords, and superglue over the spot the aptasia was on. . . The later method I have used with success but I do not know that it is the preferred method. . .

This is probably better info than I can give haha

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aiptasia-as-a-pest-and-how-to-get-rid-of-it.770001/
 
Yeah, definitely looks like aptasia (a pest anemone that can take over your tank). You will definitly want to remove it. . . there are a couple ways of doing this. . . I think people squirt kalkwasser paste or lemon juice directly into the aptasea's mouth to kill them, though I have never tried this. You can manually remove it, but I would do so outside of the tank, make sure you get all of it, rinse the coral afterwords, and superglue over the spot the aptasia was on. . . The later method I have used with success but I do not know that it is the preferred method. . .

This is probably better info than I can give haha

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aiptasia-as-a-pest-and-how-to-get-rid-of-it.770001/
Thank you! I like the idea of removing it outside of the tank and supergluing over where it was. So far I don’t see any others (not to say there isn’t any others that I’m just not seeing yet). I appreciate the advice!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new