Single vs Dual Returns?

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out a possible tank upgrade with a 30G DT w/ sump. Debating between running one and two return lines.

I know that having two return pumps (when plumbed properly) provides redundancy. But that can be accomplished either by a Y fitting or two distinct lines.

I’d like to run a UV sterilizer off one of the two pumps. So I think that would be easier to do with distinct lines. But I keep seeing posts about “balancing the flow between returns” and idk what that means here.

Would love input and thoughts.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two pumps with two return lines are fine. They will both be placed in the same return section. As long as both pumps running are not greater than the capabilities of the overflow, no need to balance.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out a possible tank upgrade with a 30G DT w/ sump. Debating between running one and two return lines.

I know that having two return pumps (when plumbed properly) provides redundancy. But that can be accomplished either by a Y fitting or two distinct lines.

I’d like to run a UV sterilizer off one of the two pumps. So I think that would be easier to do with distinct lines. But I keep seeing posts about “balancing the flow between returns” and idk what that means here.

Would love input and thoughts.
With that size tank I think one return would be fine. You could easily T or Y off to a UV if you wanted but then you would need two return outlets in tank. Unless you wanted super slow flow through the sump, as the UV requires less flow that you would normally run through a sump. As for two return pumps, sure it would be nice for redundancy but not necessary. Having two pumps, (one running and one as a backup) is always a good idea

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running dual COR-15 DC returns. Not only do you get peace of mind if one fails, maintenance is easier because you don’t need to shut off the entire system. If you want to get really fancy, put the returns on separate breakers so in case the breaker trips, you are still running.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1 return and do a dual nozzle if you wish. That is a tiny tank. Rely on your WaveMakers for flow. Shoot for a 2-10 turnover rate in your sump.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you mean 30g with sump. From sounds of it, you mean 300g with sump.

Either way. One pump is fine, with manifold for uv and both returns and whatever else you want to run. Just have to get right pump. You still need a backup in the closet as the pump is a single point of failure.

Dual pumps is nice too, but you will still need manifold for uv reactors, etc and another pump in the closet for backup. Basically a 1:2 instead of 1:1 backup.

Either way will work and both have advantages and disadvantages. If you have the room, dual pump is the ultimate redundancy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back