Siphoning sand bed... good or bad?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-2.5" is a tricky level, not deep enough to be a fully functioning DSB but too deep for a decorative sand bed and can lead to big issues.

I would reduce it to 1" or less and siphon and stir all you want or increase it to 5-6" and don't touch it or run the risk of exposing anaerobic and anoxic bacterias. DSB's are best left undisturbed and in low bioload systems where the bacteria can keep up. At 2+/-" you will have some bacteria but probably not enough to keep up with processing the waste and soon end up with a plugged mess full of detritus.

OP
OP
sredzins

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I just siphon it to keep it clean and don't allow the detritus to build up

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand traps so much detritus even in high flow tanks,So i would def keep it siphoned when you do waterchanges.Otherwise one day if you move stuff around and kick up sand so much waste is gunna be released into the water column and cause problems.

OP
OP
sredzins

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant with the amount of sand I have. I clean it every water change. With 2-2.5 inches cleaning it every water changes, Am I still likely to have problems

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 of my tanks have (( on average )) 2 inch sandbeds (( looks, goby/shrimp pair and for sandbed dwelling anemones )), with some local areas deeper because of the pistol shrimp.

With each weekly water change I graval vac the sandbeds, been doing it this way for 20 years (( hold over from my fresh water days )), and have yet to have an issue. Still have plenty of little critters on/in the sandbed.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope you shouldnt have any problems at all if ya keep siphoning during your weekly waterchanges.Agreed with trex,You will still have tons of critters in the sandbed after siphoning to.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tigertails are cool but if you have to move it make sure to put it in a container by itself. I had a 12" one one I was in a hurry the get the tank done to move 30 minutes away in the snow that I put it with my fish and corals. By the time I got to the new place it had killed all my fish. My corals never made it either. Never had a problem with it any other time.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tigertails are cool but if you have to move it make sure to put it in a container by itself. I had a 12" one one I was in a hurry the get the tank done to move 30 minutes away in the snow that I put it with my fish and corals. By the time I got to the new place it had killed all my fish. My corals never made it either. Never had a problem with it any other time.
Tiger tails and the other members of their genera are harmless when P.O.ed or die. It's the genus that the sea apples are in that are super toxic.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back