Siphoning sand question

I was actually thinking about this just last week.
40 years in the hobby (10 as a reefer) and start every WC's with a gravel vac. I honestly couldn't say if it's counter-productive or not but with a decent fish load always pull a ton of detritus so I continue doing it.
 
So far I haven't gotten a single "Like" for vacuuming my sand bed, so I guess I've been voted off the island! 🏝️ Ha ha ha ha ha ha.
took note and dealt you one :)
Honestly, i'm not sure their is a right answer to this as even substrate itself is optional and truthfully probably the more challenging route once the tank is stable and mature.
 
Just a curiosity question here, does anyone here NOT disturb their sand bed? When doing water changes or anything like that? Does anyone use leave that completely to their sand sifting tank inhabitants? Or do you all consider sand cleaning a must do?
It's a good question, probably there are risks and benefits either way.

When I had a freshwater tank, I was taught that you "had" to use a gravel vac to clean the gravel, so that's what I did back then. But in my reef tanks I've never really cleaned the sand. I have fine sand that I expect would be removed if I tried to use a gravel vac, but honestly I haven't really tried.

I have occasionally disturbed the sand unintentionally and a bunch of silt flies up. It can make things cloudy for a bit but I haven't noticed any other issues from it.
 
Occasionally, I'll take a vacuum to the sand and it's not very invasive. Maybe once every month and I do weekly water changes.
 
Just a curiosity question here, does anyone here NOT disturb their sand bed? When doing water changes or anything like that? Does anyone use leave that completely to their sand sifting tank inhabitants? Or do you all consider sand cleaning a must do?
I did not clean my sand for quite a while.

I'm now converted... I mean, if someone can provide a sand clean up crew that really actually works I would consider it, as I don't like vacuuming sand.

But I will say, all of my corals perked up after my sand was vacuumed, and gettin the dull color off the sand makes the tank look prettier - by a great deal.
 
Agreed, but what about a FOWLR? There's no CUC to be found..

Why wouldn't you have CUC in a FOWLR? I mean if you have something like a puffer that is going to eat snails and crustaceans I can understand, but otherwise they still help remove detritus and algae.
 
I've read of many people that do clean them. My sand is always full of life that I feel is beneficial even if most are worms. I don't clean my sumps for the same reason, there's just too many life forms living in all of the crud aka mulm.
Agreed, but what about a FOWLR? There's no CUC to be found..
Imo the sand is home to lots of pods and worms which are all great food for grazing fish.
 
Just a curiosity question here, does anyone here NOT disturb their sand bed? When doing water changes or anything like that? Does anyone use leave that completely to their sand sifting tank inhabitants? Or do you all consider sand cleaning a must do?
I have a wide open front area with sand and I do use my python water change hose with the sand vacuum tube on every water changes.
 
Just a curiosity question here, does anyone here NOT disturb their sand bed? When doing water changes or anything like that? Does anyone use leave that completely to their sand sifting tank inhabitants? Or do you all consider sand cleaning a must do?
I like to just hover. But if the sand is really dirty I'll give it a little stir
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new