Siporax: Reactor or Stacked

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the middle stages of a new 225 in wall build( walls are framed, sheetrocked painted and the system is plumbed) and just bought 10L of Siporax since my sump is average sized and I plan on doing a minimal scape. I've seen some reports of good success from others experience stacking this media but wondering the results of those who are running it in a reactor.
I should note that I have a ton of flow through my sump, which may or may not be a prerequisite to going with a reactor. Any thoughts appreciated.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have enough flow through your sump then stacking is good enough. It works nicely either way.

OP
OP
KJAG

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. If I use a reactor(s), which I'm leaning towards since my sump space is limited, I'm guessing there's no advantage to stacking in the reactor itself? I ask because the siporax I ordered is all the same dimension as opposed to the smaller/larger combo I've seen others use in eggcrate stacking applications. Seems like in reactor, just dropping them in will be sufficient.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to use a reactor I would still stack. When you stack you use space more efficiently and will be able to fit more. I've got a zeovit reactor I was considering stacking in, but I don't think it's necessary. In fact, I believe you're trying to get low flow through the siporax, not high flow, so hard to say what the benefits of a reactor are besides the fact that you might be able to stack higher than just stacking in sump. But would be interested to hear other thoughts?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back