Size vs. Survivability

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When purchasing a fish online and going through the normal acclimation/quarantine process has anyone noticed if size of the fish has any impact on survival rates?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller individuals are more likely to be on the receiving end of aggression/bullying; which will affect survivability. If you keep them in QT long enough to gain some size, then I think there's no major difference.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on the species.

OP
OP
R

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, how about age more than size? Is a wild caught fish who is smaller(younger) more likely to adopt to captivity better than a larger(older) fish?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, how about age more than size? Is a wild caught fish who is smaller(younger) more likely to adopt to captivity better than a larger(older) fish?

I think that's probably true in many (most?) cases. Not all though. Advantage of buying a younger fish is obvious - you'll have it for longer.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping is harder on larger fish, but smaller fish have a faster metabolism, so time in transit can really put them at a disadvantage. Small-medium is probably best. Try to avoid large and tiny specimens. Although it does vary specimen to specimen.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it does depend on the species, not only from a survival rate but also from an acclimation to captivity point. I rarely see very large fish make it; many of the very large angels and tangs especially don't eat or just wither away. We are talking about fish that travel many miles a day that are now trapped in a small glass cage. Large triggers will commit havoc, if they don't die they will be nasty, more nasty than most can handle. I lean toward aggressive fish, and there is a marked difference when you raise them from a juvi state. What makes matters worse is that people think a 6 foot tank makes up for it all, then many don't even do that. I don't really know what a fish understand; but I believe growing up small juvis is the most humane. Maybe this becomes the only reality they remember or understand, so are happier and more well adjusted. Another note, captive bred varieties are becoming more available. I have recently found out that the old myth about not being able to bred most marine species in captivity was impossible, was a lie. It's just easier and cheaper to collect, collect, collect; until there is nothing left.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back