Skimmate Locker DIY

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is an AIO tank and I've got a Tunze 9004 DC skimmer for the tank, now I'd like to prep the skimmer so I just change a skimmate container or bottle instead of taking the cup out and dumping it. However, I've got one issue. To get the skimmate out of the cup, I need to pump it up and then down to the locker in the cabinet below.

Should I just use a BRS top-off doser to pull skimmate up and then back down? Or are there better options?

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have good luck with Tom's Aqualifter for a cheaper alternative to the BRS doser, it will be a little faster too and since you don't need an exact pump rate it should work fine.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is an AIO tank and I've got a Tunze 9004 DC skimmer for the tank, now I'd like to prep the skimmer so I just change a skimmate container or bottle instead of taking the cup out and dumping it. However, I've got one issue. To get the skimmate out of the cup, I need to pump it up and then down to the locker in the cabinet below.

Should I just use a BRS top-off doser to pull skimmate up and then back down? Or are there better options?
@rvitko I think Tunze makes the skimmer cup holiday 9004.145. It is made for the 9004 skimmer. Perhaps Roger can correct me if I am wrong.

OP
OP
KadeSirin

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have good luck with Tom's Aqualifter for a cheaper alternative to the BRS doser, it will be a little faster too and since you don't need an exact pump rate it should work fine.
I think I may have an aqualifter laying around somewhere. I'll try it! My main concern with using the aqualifter is that I'm moving skimmate, it may gum up or clog the line/pump.

@rvitko I think Tunze makes the skimmer cup holiday 9004.145. It is made for the 9004 skimmer. Perhaps Roger can correct me if I am wrong.
That's the cup I'm try to get to my container, unfortunately I have an AIO tank (see signature, JBJ 65 RF) so the skimmer sits above the cabinet.

OP
OP
KadeSirin

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think occasional vinegar rinses of the lines and pump would be good, but it should be able to suck up the skimmate for months without issue.
I'll give it a try, will switch to the dosing pump if I have issues.

Either way, I'll rig up the float switch for the pump. Or just have it run for 10-20 mins per day or something .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back