Skimmer 101.m

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up many skimmers. I got out for 7 years..I spent 2 hours trying find out why this damm skimmer was 100% on air until I remember you need a gate valve. DUH....still the worng skimmer for this tank methinks ( new one arrives Thursday) but even the best forget the 101 stuff! A valve on air input allowed me to at least control and dial in.... I am getting old!

OP
OP
andywe

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS had a sale on the Skimz. I don't need a monster Skimmer (already have 2 masssive skimmers downstairs) but It was 215 bucks, 24v dc motor internal and controllable (not apex). Also smaller footprint. Takes less energy and less heat into the water column. I figured worth a shot. Not on sale anymore. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-sn143-qp-monzter-mini-protein-skimmer.html
Nice! Almost went with skimz, but Black Friday sale was too good on bubble Magnus so I got a curve for my new tank.

OP
OP
andywe

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Almost went with skimz, but Black Friday sale was too good on bubble Magnus so I got a curve for my new tank.
After all these years I see many skimmers that pretty much do the same thing. It depends on the time you put in to break them in and adjust, and what your bioload is. The best skimmer ever to me is one you cannot get anymore. An LFS owner started making them in 2010 and got out in 2013, but it is awesome. Easy design, yet pulled skimmate from my 230 like nobody's fool Bubble Magus makes a decent product. I'll try this SKimz..for the price if it does well I got a good deal!

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all these years I see many skimmers that pretty much do the same thing. It depends on the time you put in to break them in and adjust, and what your bioload is. The best skimmer ever to me is one you cannot get anymore. An LFS owner started making them in 2010 and got out in 2013, but it is awesome. Easy design, yet pulled skimmate from my 230 like nobody's fool Bubble Magus makes a decent product. I'll try this SKimz..for the price if it does well I got a good deal!
I've heard great things about skimz personally.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back