Skimmer Advice

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their feedback. I decided to go with a larger MRC skimmer and put in a MR-3 with double becketts and a Blueline 70 pump. It has been a major improvement over the MR-2 that we had installed prior. Now working to find that sweet spot where it runs best.

Chris
 
I loved my MR-2R...

Becketts work great when they are dialed in. I just needed to cut back on my fish costs.

Pump to drive beckets at 275 watts.

275*24 hours = 6600 watss a day
6600 watts a day * 365 = 2409000 watts a year.
2409 killowatts * .095cost per kw/hr = 228$ a year to run

Most the Needlewheels are less than a 100 watts, which will run you ~83$ a year.
 
You make good arguments about the energy requirements of the beckett skimmers and I will have to see how it impacts power bill overall. Currently the skimmer has performed far superior to anything I have had on the system and I am hoping that I will be able to cut cost in other locations.

I am considering plugging my fish tank into the neighbors RV plug. LOL they will never notice.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new