Skimmer advice

IIDRYWATERII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi new to reefing and some advice on skimming… I’m producing a wet skim and wanting to know if I should replace the skim with equal amount of salt water… thanks in advance

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi new to reefing and some advice on skimming… I’m producing a wet skim and wanting to know if I should replace the skim with equal amount of salt water… thanks in advance
I never have before. However the answer probably changes depending on tank size.

Hypnotoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a similar size tank.

In small tanks running an auto top off there are a lot of factors that can constribute to slight salinity fluctuations.

Some examples from my tank are: a drain pipe valve being opened or closed slightly, filter socks filling up, overflow/sump baffle teeth becoming slightly obstructed, and the extra sodium chloride formed as a byproduct of two part dosing .

for me, the ones listed above are bigger contributors to salinity fluctuation than the skimmer pulling salt water.

Maintenance related to the aforementioned factors and semi-regular water changes seem to keep things mostly in check.

sometimes if my salinity is running a little low, I’ll add some salt water then let it evaporate until the sump is back to its normal water level.
I’ll repeat this process if necessary.

So basically, I’d just keep an eye on salinity as long as you aren’t emptying your skimmer cup multiple times a day or something.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back