skimmer choice

speedmaster426

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2015
Messages
32
Reaction score
1
Location
Saratoga NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im upgrading from a 90 gal to a 150 im looking at a couple different skimmers

1. Reef Octopus classic space saver 150

2. Reef Octopus classic int 200

3. Aquamaxx Ecomaxx em200

4. Aquamaxx Cone S Q2

what are your opinions or actual experience
 
I haven't plugged mine in yet, but I went with an Aquamaxx Cone S due to the overwhelming amount of good feedback they have been getting. Reef octopus is pretty popular, but I've seen a lot of feedback about them being picky and difficult to get fine tuned.
 
What pump is on the octopus int200 ?
I'm running an octopus Diablo with the psk1000 and it works great. I just recently decide to up grade the pump and went with the rodc3500s. I only changed pumps because the new one is suppose to be near silent.

I've tried a few different skimmers and always ended up back with a reef octopus.
 
the aquatrance 3000 for the reef otcopus 200 int and yes i have herd a lot of good reviews on aquamaxx skimmers
 
I wouldn't buy the octopus with that pump. Not saying it won't work but I honestly don't think you will be happy with the performance of that pump.
The super reef octopus with bubble blaster pump would be a better choice.
 
I might go with one of the aquamaxx choices I've noticed a lot of people are switching to them over the octopus, eshopps and offer high end skimmers
 
Not on your list but I use Asm G4 and G4+ on every tank I own and I love them. I overstocked the snot out of my tanks and they rip out the nastiness at a fraction of the cost.

I take that back I have a reef octopus I bought used for my 55 qt HOB it's a great skimmer too.

Just my .02
 
Stay away from the Q2 there seems to be a design flaw with them.. I would stick with the original coneS series if you want that route.
I really like the RLSS skimmers I have had several skimmers in-between and keep coming back.

If it needs to be one you listed it would be the AquaMaxx EcoMaxx EM
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new