Skimmer (deltec 600i) overflowing

Teddy99

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Messages
65
Reaction score
61
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, it’s my first time using a skimmer and I need some help. Since I added the live sand (1,5 weeks ago) to my new tank the skimmer keeps overflowing. I turned it off until the fine dust settled. Now it’s been running for 5 days and still overflowing. I added some carbon filtering 4 days ago.
What can I do ? Water level is within range, air pump is on lowest setting, water level control is fully open.



image.jpg

image.jpg
 
This is pretty common with a new setup, especially after adding fine live sand. The water can contain compounds that make the skimmer go crazy. I’d give it some time to settle and keep an eye on the water level. You can also clean the skimmer cup and neck regularly while it stabilizes.
 
I have that same skimmer, IMO the skimmer is too low (or the water level is too high). Your valve is also fully open, I think that lets more air in. But first I would raise the skimmer.

I attached a pic below, you can see the water line, its about 7" of water.
The second pic shows the valve which is almost closed compared to yours.

The water inside that tube should fall in between the 2 lines, thats the sweet spot you have to dial it into.

Hope that helps, good luck.

1791197727141.png



1791197812391.png
 
Last edited:
I have that same skimmer, IMO the skimmer is too low (or the water level is too high). Your valve is also fully open, I think that lets more air in. But first I would raise the skimmer.

I attached a pic below, you can see the water line, its about 7" of water.
The second pic shows the valve which is almost closed compared to yours.

The water inside that tube should fall in between the 2 lines, thats the sweet spot you have to dial it into.

Hope that helps, good luck.

1791197727141.png



1791197812391.png
I had the water inbetween the two lines in the beginning before the live sand and it worked fine. IFU states 15-25 cm water level, it is at 20cm , so I thought this would be fine and it worked fine before. I opened the valve completly to reduce overflowing and lower water level between the lines. But as I said it’s still overflowing. Closing it more only makes it worse.
So I guess it was the live sand, but I do not know how to improve this.

How long do you think it should normally take to be normal again?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new