Skimmer fizzing

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Situation

I have a Red Sea RSK-300 on my 204L system. Yesterday I harvested some sea lettuce from my external algae reactor, cleaned the reactor, and installed a bigger pump for the reactor as I concluded I needed more flow for the macro algae. I changed my carbon out as well while I was in the sump, but made no other changes. Actually I did move one leather and one mushroom in my display tank to a new location where I’m hoping they’ll be happier. Super glue was used.

Parameters:

pH 8.44 Caper Plus, calibrated. Best system I can get in my area that’s less than 1-2 grand
T 26.4 °C Hanna salinity tester
Salinity 35.7 ppt Hanna salinity tester
Ca 540 ppm Salifert
Alk 10.8 dKH Hanna
NO3 15-20 ppm Salifert (I have a hard time with colors)
PO4 0.1 ppm Hanna ULR Phosphorus

Other parameters available if needed.

Situation Part 2

I after I changed the pump and had my hands in the tank, the skimmer foam column disappeared as it usually does when hands or food go in the tank. Checked pump and venturi for obstructions; there were none.

However, it’s now 12 hours later and still not skimming. Bit concerned as I carbon dose and have a moderately high bioload. Tank is mixed, probably 40% SPS, 30% LPS, and balance leathers, mushrooms, zoas and a few others. Want to avoid a nutrient spike from this; in fact I’m trying to get NO3 between 5 and 10, and PO4 between 0.05 and 0.1.

Any ideas? You can see the skimmer water level in the photo. I did raise the water level in the skimmer as quick test, but at best got plain tank water out. So, I returned it to is normal setting and am waiting.

Would very much appreciate your advice!

Best regards,

Adam

Other info.

- Kessil AP9-X
- TM Pro Reef salt
- Chiller
- Heater in line with return
- Macro-algae reactor
- ATO with distilled water
- Jebao dosers
- 36W UV
- as much flow as I can have without making a stand storm
- 40 ish lbs of live rock

Daily Dosing:

- Randy’s high pH 2 part dosed 24 times per day, offset part one and two doses by 30 min. Targeting stable 11 dKH.
- TM K+ and A- for trace. 2 mL of each daily. Also dosed at least 30 in apart
- One drop daily of Korallin Amino Acid
- iodine tested weekly; if levels are below 0.1 ppm iodide I dose one drop of TM Lugols per day
- CO2 scrubber, recirculated and sealed.

Feeding

- 0.5 g mixed prime reef and formula two flakes daily
- 0.5 g Nori ever 2-3 days.
- Reef Roids, Mysis, SeaChem and TM phyto, and my self made phyto. Very conservative, for Reef Roids I dose about 0.05g. Once a week, and corals are spot fed.

2A496E36-F267-49C3-8CD3-DBE0ED2E8CC6.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. A thorough cleaning of the skimmer and skimmer pump might be in order.

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. A thorough cleaning of the skimmer and skimmer pump might be in order.
Thanks!

I actually did take the skimmer apart today to look for issues, but found none. Just did a thorough, full cleaning of the skimmer about 2 weeks ago but I’ll follow your advice and clean it again.

Issue seems modestly better now but far from normal.

i wonder if the new algae reactor feed pump might be releasing oils, etc. from manufacturing which then increase surface tension and prevent the skimmer from working correctly.

Anyway, thanks a lot. If anyone else has ideas regarding this issue, it would be great if you could share those.

Adam

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back