Skimmer foaming like mad!

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Skimmer been working ok since I put it in about 4 weeks ago. It's an in tank hang on type.
The last few weeks it's filled the cup about a quarter every 4 days with a light brown liquid. Yesterday I noticed it was foaming quite a bit and I checked the cup and it was over flowing even though I only emptied it 4 days ago. I've just done a water change and obviously the level dropped in the skimmer but as I'm re filling the tank, I'm about 6 inches off the top of the skimmer and the foam is climbing right to the top.
The air inlet is on maximum because the first few days I couldn't get it to do anything but now it seem was over the top.
Do I simply turn the air down to fine tune it now it's bedded in or could there be another issue as to why it's suddenly going crazy?
I have had cloudy water for a couple of days and it seem to coincide with that too.

Thanks

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always just try and set mine so the fine bubbles are at the base of the stem for the collection cup. Depending on feeding, anything added and water changes the amount collected can change.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be caused by chemicals in the tank yes, but it is also normal for a skimmer to take day/weeks to really "break in". I would adjust the air doen quite a bit. Set it up initially for a very dry skim until it broke in and you got a better feel for it(less likely to overflow that way). Once it settles in and consistent then adjust it for wetter skim if desired

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the water level in the skimmer and just let it settle. Putting your hand in the tank or a water change can affect the surface tension of the water and will cause skimmers to go nuts.

What kind of skimmer do you have?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like water is too high OR something (chemical, NoPox, foam) has caused it to go crazy.
You can lift the skimmer and inch or two to see if it calms down. If it does, its the water level. You can also blow through the tube that goes to the muffler as it could be getting plugged. Last thing- Turn air control down slightly which will lower water level in the chamber

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the water level in the skimmer and just let it settle. Putting your hand in the tank or a water change can affect the surface tension of the water and will cause skimmers to go nuts.

What kind of skimmer do you have?
It's a Hydor in tank skimmer. I got it second hand and it had no info with it so I don't know any more than that

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it look like this?

These types of skimmers are notoriously sensitive to water changes. I would see about lowering the water level that or just turn it off for a while to let the tank settle after a water change.

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's the one! I have been dosing Red Sea Nopox for the last few days so I guess this ma have caused a swing in the chemistry somewhere. I've turned it right down as the instructions o the Nopox recommend the skimmer is running while dosing it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back