Skimmer no foam

sassmastawillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I recently got a used skimmer from someone who tore down their tank a few months ago, I believe it is an aquamaxx dfc-80. Took it home and tested in out in a bucket of water, but it doesn't produce any foam, just sort of bubbles (see picture). Tried adjusting all sorts of things on it, but cannot get it to produce any sort of foam. Even took it apart to make sure nothing was clogged. Never owned a skimmer before, so I am unfamiliar with how exactly they work.

Does anyone have any sort of troubleshooting tips? Or what would the recommended steps be to give it a deep clean?

Thanks

PXL_20240308_130732407_exported_1709904030301.jpg

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I recently got a used skimmer from someone who tore down their tank a few months ago, I believe it is an aquamaxx dfc-80. Took it home and tested in out in a bucket of water, but it doesn't produce any foam, just sort of bubbles (see picture). Tried adjusting all sorts of things on it, but cannot get it to produce any sort of foam. Even took it apart to make sure nothing was clogged. Never owned a skimmer before, so I am unfamiliar with how exactly they work.

Does anyone have any sort of troubleshooting tips? Or what would the recommended steps be to give it a deep clean?

Thanks

PXL_20240308_130732407_exported_1709904030301.jpg

Zeefishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check the airline they get clogged and clean the whole thing in hot water

OP
OP
sassmastawillis

sassmastawillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still building my tank, so I can't test that out yet.
I don't have the manual for it, so I looked up the assembly video on BRS and they have it running in a small tank with no other surface tension.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still building my tank, so I can't test that out yet.
I don't have the manual for it, so I looked up the assembly video on BRS and they have it running in a small tank with no other surface tension.

No they don’t. If it’s generation a column of foam they are using salt water and probably used salt water at that. Since it’s used you can probably get away with testing it with a fresh batch of salt water. Just mix up a gallon or two of salt water and use that. Should build a head in an hour or so.

OP
OP
sassmastawillis

sassmastawillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tested in a bucket of water means tapwater? It won't work in freshwater, the foam is produced only in saltwater.
Yea, just hose water. Didn't realize it needed salt water.
I'll pick up some salt and mix a small batch to test it again. Just wanted to make sure its functioning properly.
Thanks for the help!

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, just hose water. Didn't realize it needed salt water.
I'll pick up some salt and mix a small batch to test it again. Just wanted to make sure its functioning properly.
Thanks for the help!

If it is putting bubbles into the water column it is working. If you want to verify you can plug the intake hole with your finger, or just disconnect the intake line, and you should hear the sound change and the water level drop slightly.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now would be a good time to run some citric acid in that tap water and clean it out! Use like a half a cup it will bubble and clean at the same time! Let the skimmer run for a couple hours overflowing the cup, wipe it out and rinse well! You’ll see if it’s working and clean it at the same time.

OP
OP
sassmastawillis

sassmastawillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now would be a good time to run some citric acid in that tap water and clean it out! Use like a half a cup it will bubble and clean at the same time! Let the skimmer run for a couple hours overflowing the cup, wipe it out and rinse well! You’ll see if it’s working and clean it at the same time.
How much citric acid should I use?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much citric acid should I use?
Half a cup or so… I don’t really measure it, just pour some in and let it do its thing and rinse it off well when done.. the acid will take the majority out and a scrub brush or magic eraser will get the rest very easily after the acid bath.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back