Skimmer for 180

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 180 gallon. It’s plumbed into a trigger ruby 36 sump. I’m looking for some help in finding a skimmer that would fit this/my sump. Issue is I’m looking for a skimmer rated twice my tank size. Meaning at least 250-300 gallons. But I would like it to fit into the skimmer section. If need be the fuge section. Suggestions please

99Problems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36 sump is pretty small for a 180. I like reef octopus and currently have a bubble magnus curve 9. I have no idea of your clearances so if it will fit I don't know.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to consider budget and height/footprint availability before anyone can reasonably go ahead and recommend whatever it is they’re presently using ha ha. That’s what you’ll likely get with skimmer recommendations. Whatever whoever chooses to respond is presently settled on. Skimmers more than any other piece of equipment people will tend to swear by what is in their sump currently

coker98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 2nd the curve 9.

Mine was a beast on my 185 gallon years ago.

coker98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to consider budget and height/footprint availability before anyone can reasonably go ahead and recommend whatever it is they’re presently using ha ha. That’s what you’ll likely get with skimmer recommendations. Whatever whoever chooses to respond is presently settled on. Skimmers more than any other piece of equipment people will tend to swear by what is in their sump currently
I currently use a reef Octopus regal 300 sss but I did read that he had a smaller sump.

When I had my 185 gallon, I was running a 40 breeder for a sump and the curve 9 fit in there snuggly but it did fit and it pulled tons of crap all the time.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had numerous brands over the years. Settled on Life Reef. I think you will find that most who have, stay with them. Dimensions of your sump may be an issue though.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll do what the rest are doing and recommend the brand I’ve settled on. For a 180 id get a Lifereef SVS3-30” if it will fit vertically. I’ve used bubble magus and eshopps skimmers in the past.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading my sump to the Redflex reef sump 400. I’m curious to you guys suggestion. I have opportunity to get bubble magus 10 skimmer for a good price. Then I also have a chance to get a regal reef octopus 200int. Which would you choose?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back