Skimmer. How oversized is too oversized

Phillyd1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been looking to get a new skimmer and am wondering how big i can go without it being too much. The one i have now i like but i am pretty stocked and i feel like a better skimmer might help with exporting more nutrients. I dont want to feed less as i like my fish very fat and feel like they should be getting fed well. Currently i have a bubble magus curve 7 but ive been looking into the bubble magus curve b10 which is much larger. Also im looking to the future as i will eventually upgrade to a larger tank.

Ive also looked into adding a DOS instead and programming small water changes everyday.

OP
OP
Phillyd1990

Phillyd1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely forgot to mention i have a 100g display with a 30g sump

Steve P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good question and one that's worth following for me...I'm searching as well. Let's wait on the opinions.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible but virtually unlikely. Couldn't even give you a number. Can you reduce nutrients to such low numbers that corals suffer definitely but you could do that by under feeding, using many other means of nutrient export, and carbon dosing.

The actual problem people are thinking may happen from over skimming is reducing trace elements in a system.

Realistically it's no different then running an ULNS. You have heavy nutrient removal but to keep a balance you also have heavy nutrient feeding. I prefer the ULNS style, I keep my nitrates and phosphates low, nitrates <1 phos <0.03 feed heavy and dose amminos, trace elements and phyto

OP
OP
Phillyd1990

Phillyd1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id much
It is possible but virtually unlikely. Couldn't even give you a number. Can you reduce nutrients to such low numbers that corals suffer definitely but you could do that by under feeding, using many other means of nutrient export, and carbon dosing.

The actual problem people are thinking may happen from over skimming is reducing trace elements in a system.

Realistically it's no different then running an ULNS. You have heavy nutrient removal but to keep a balance you also have heavy nutrient feeding. I prefer the ULNS style, I keep my nitrates and phosphates low, nitrates <1 phos <0.03 feed heavy and dose amminos, trace elements and phyto
id much rather feed heavier and dose with something rather than worry about excessive nutrients. I feel as if my bio laod may be a bit much for my system so im thinking over sizing my skimmer even more might help with that but im looking into something thats rated for a much larger system

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id much

id much rather feed heavier and dose with something rather than worry about excessive nutrients. I feel as if my bio laod may be a bit much for my system so im thinking over sizing my skimmer even more might help with that but im looking into something thats rated for a much larger system

I'm always a big fan of carbon dosing I can keep heavy stocked tanks low nutrient with carbon dosing and a regular sized skimmer and a fuge.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of size (provided they're not undersized), they're only capable of removing approximately 30% of the DOCs. My opinion, you're wasting your money on a different skimmer if your desired result is to feed more without increasing nutrient levels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phillyd1990

Phillyd1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of size (provided they're not undersized), they're only capable of removing approximately 30% of the DOCs. My opinion, you're wasting your money on a different skimmer if your desired result is to feed more without increasing nutrient levels.
i have heard of the %30 rule. I just figured with a bigger bio load my supposed “overzized skimmer” might not be enough.

SDboatguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - I have a similar set 100g display and 36" Trigger sump - also using a Curve7 at the moment. I like it! From what I've gleaned on this forum and others - a skimmer with a 6"-8" body is about right for this sized system. I have used other BM skimmers as well as a Somatic 60, all with a the same results +/-.

marks69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 90g dt with the a8 skimmer and it almost seems too much. i had the nac7 before and it worked fine

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back