Skimmer in same compartment as chaeto

edieglin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have a 75 gal tank and a 100 gal stock tank as my sump and I want to add chaeto to it but I don't have a way of adding a compartment for the chaeto and I was wondering if it would work to make a basket out of plastic canvas mesh and put the skimmer in there to help keep the cheato out
Do y'all think that idea would work or do you have some other ideas?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
the basket will help but you’ll need to check for when, or if it grows too much to avoid it growing out of the smaller holes on the sides of the basket

OP
OP
E

edieglin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the basket will help but you’ll need to check for when, or if it grows too much to avoid it growing out of the smaller holes on the sides of the basket
That would be a problem I can keep an eye on it I just need the bulk of it to stay away

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That would be a problem I can keep an eye on it I just need the bulk of it to stay away
another idea is to line the sides with bio media (kind of like maxspect bio balls since they’re smaller than most or siporax if you want something smaller) so that it creates a slight wall or breakage of flow to make it difficult for the chaeto to outgrow the basket.

chaeto would benefit from flow but i’ve had 0 issues with it being in slow moving water

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If properly planned and executed it should work. To be clear, you're considering putting the skimmer in the basket or the chaeto? Maybe a piece,or 2, of plexiglass can section off a corner of the sump..(?) Pic of sump

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If properly planned and executed it should work. To be clear, you're considering putting the skimmer in the basket or the chaeto? Maybe a piece,or 2, of plexiglass can section off a corner of the sump..(?) Pic of sump
good catch. i do believe he meant putting the skimmer in the DIY basket.

in terms of my suggestions above, this is in the event that the chaeto is what will be in the basket

OP
OP
E

edieglin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not home currently but I'm planning to put the skimmer in the basket

Edit: I want the skimmer in the basket because I don't want the problem of not have enough chaeto that a lot of people complain about

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not home currently but I'm planning to put the skimmer in the basket
The potential issues that come to mind with this is the change of water depth the skimmer sits in(can it be adjusted enough to compensate?). and if that passes, make sure it sits level and doesn't rock or tilt(changing the level). I personally would put the chaeto in the basket. It needs contained, not the skimmer. And would make for easy pruning...

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another idea is to line the sides with bio media (kind of like maxspect bio balls since they’re smaller than most or siporax if you want something smaller) so that it creates a slight wall or breakage of flow to make it difficult for the chaeto to outgrow the basket.

chaeto would benefit from flow but i’ve had 0 issues with it being in slow moving water
I like this idea, or functionally equivalent.. perhaps have the source water(display drain) dump directly into the chaeto in the basket. Would keep flow up and catch detritus.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 104 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back