Skimmer is whack, what should I look for when I take it apart?

Eclyps19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have an RSK-600 that I've been using for a couple years now. It's *always* been super touchy, but after a tear down, a heavy cleaning, and a rebuild over the course of 8 months, it's basically just sucking water up like it's nobody's business. I have it at least a couple inches below the recommended water line and it fills up within about 30 seconds with water. This is a fully re-built tank with brand new rocks/water so I'm expecting it be in overdrive, but it's been running for about a week and a half now with the drain tube open so it just continues to circulate, but there's no signs of it getting better. I'm worried I may have lost a gasket or something in the cleaning process.

Should I let it go another week? Should I take it apart and look for something that may have come off?

1670286958715.png

1670286966360.png

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a few options. Let it run with the drain plug open and let it over fill till its broken in.

Or manually lift it up until it stops over filling then make a stand at that level.

OP
OP
Eclyps19

Eclyps19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man... alright, so I went through the manual again and finally realized what I did wrong... there's a little piece that clips into the bubble diffuser that they call the "return-flow plug". This is supposed to be positioned right across from the regulator knob stick thingy. If not, then it leaves the skimmer pretty much wide open (or even more open than wide open?). This is what the problem was for me - after moving it to the correct position everything worked perfectly. Hope this helps someone else having this issue!

1670344427466.png

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back