Skimmer needed on biocube 29gallon?

Want2Know

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This summer i plan on starting my first saltwater tank. I have done a lot of research on how to set up and maintain the tank. I had planned on using the Berlin method in the 29g Biocube. I am going to use 50lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of live sand. I planned on stocking the tank with 2 or 3 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Lawnmower blenny, 10 to 15 Scarlet Hermit crabs, and 1 marbled serpent starfish. After the tank has been established for a couple of months and the pH has stabilized I had planned on keeping some of the hardier corals (no sps of any kind) such as mushroom polyps and leathers. I know that i will need to remove the biological components of the filter and rinse the filter floss quite frequently. I had planned on doing 3 gallon water changes every week. I know the berlin method uses a skimmer however i have had trouble locating a good nano skimmer online (as ive read repeatedly that the oceanic skimmer is junk). While i read that the tunze skimmer is great, it is high priced to purchase if it is unnecessary; not to mention it requires modifications to the biocube that i would be hesitant to try myself. So long story not so short, do i need to use a skimmer of some sort on the tank? Any other advice about the set up is also welcome.

waxy

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a nano skimmer, but I personally think it would be a waste of money.

A water change is more than adequate.

ruggirello2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend that is into nano tanks has never used a skimmer and does weekly wc. He has had tank of the month on nano reef.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back