Skimmer not foaming correctly

  • Thread starter Thread starter den75
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

den75

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2014
Messages
146
Reaction score
114
Location
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me why my skimmer is doing this. I removed the entire skimmer from the sump and gave it a freshwater/vinegar bath. It produced a normal foam for about 6 hrs then started doing this again. No clogs in the air intake or anything like that. It's a reef octopus 3000int.

 
Not sure what i am seeing in the picture.
Does the water level get too high?
Excess foam?
Or overflowing
 
Water level in the sump is consistent. It's not excess foam. I guess you can say not enough. Just a violent swirling of water and bubbles which eventually overflows the skimmer. It's a video if you click on it maybe you can see better.
 
How deep is the skimmer sitting in the water? If too deep, it can overflow. Have you adjusted the discharge/output valve to the proper water height in the body of the skimmer?
 
How deep is the skimmer sitting in the water? If too deep, it can overflow. Have you adjusted the discharge/output valve to the proper water height in the body of the skimmer?

It's been sitting in the recommended 8-9 inches since it's been in service(about 2 years) I tried adjusting the output valve it just keeps going back to doing the same thing.
 
Open the output valve all the way and then slowly start to close it down.

And I'm not familiar with that skimmer, but I'm going to guess it also has an air valve....open that up all the way....and leave it open.
 
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. No adjustment on the airline. It's always wide open.
 
I had one of those and 8-9 inches was always too deep on mine. It liked about 6 or 7. Also, if you don't clean the salt creep put of the venturi and hose it will cause water level to rise inside skimmer and overflow.

Great skimmers btw.
 
@pickupman66 , that was my other thought.....deposits on the venturi/volute where the air enters the pump. I actually had to pick this off with a scalpel. I tried soaking in vinegar overnight and that didn't do it.
 
@pickupman66 , that was my other thought.....deposits on the venturi/volute where the air enters the pump. I actually had to pick this off with a scalpel. I tried soaking in vinegar overnight and that didn't do it.
I use a screwdriver every 2 weeks to clean mine out. I should be a dentist!
That stuff is hard as a rock
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new