Skimmer on timer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryan15236
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ryan15236

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
414
Reaction score
165
Location
Kingsport, TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys quick question for you. I have a 125 gallon tank with 55 gallon sump and aquamaxx em200 skimmer. My bioload is very low and my skimmer is idling most of the time. I think my water and wouldn't mind to bump my nitrates up a bit. Right now I am getting 0ppm and my zoas seem to be struggling. My sps have decent color but could be better. I think if I can get some nitrate in the water it can only help. Would putting the skimmer on a time be a good idea? Any other options?
 
Dose no3 :-)
Leave skimmer on for the DOC's
 
ive seen several people put their skimmer on a timer. I wouldn't do it just because it seems like youd have issues with overflowing and burning out the pump but ive seen it done.
 
Most people who put their skimmer on a timer do it for noise reasons. You could always feed more or add oysterfeast.
 
Skimmers also aid on o2 co2 exchange :-) leave them running!
 
But by doing that po4 is increased
Very true. He could always try turning off the skimmer or dosing Nitrate like you said. Not sure what his phospates are like. My fuge loves that stuff so I forget about phospates most of the time honestly.
 
Ya I let my macros live as happy as can be. I do run thin on po4 (triton)
Now as for no3 potassium nitrate imo is the way to go.
Huge changes in my tank :-)

Go helix 5000! Run skimmer run!
 
I like to let the skimmer run. Just like a car most skimmers take more wear and tear on startup.
 
More fish, more nori and acro power seems like a more fun solution that shutting things off.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new