Skimmer Overflow Help!

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon!

I just recently got my tank going and have a small amount of livestock. I decided to cut my skimmer on ( Reef Octopus Classic 152s) and I can’t seem to figure out why it won’t stop overflowing. The water fills the body and never slows down. I have ran the skimmer at the top and bottom of the recommended depths and tried all the way open and all the way closed with the gate valve. I am super confused by this. Can anyone offer any solutions? I am super frustrated with myself and would love some help! Thanks in advance!
IMG_0015.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is recommended depth? 8"?

Have you tried to adjust with no air going to the unit? It should fall about 2-4" below the neck.

Did you break it in? Leave the cup of for a couple days.

ReefNoob5281

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this problems a few times infact last weekend this happened to my skimmer (Bubble Magus C3.5) and the success i have had with my skimmer is to have it open at maximum. you will get alot of micro bubbles in your tank but after a few hours it will settle and then slowly close the gate maybe a notch a day until it settles itself in. patience is the key. my LFS dude told me that nothing can really go wrong with a skimmer as it is just really an air filter / bubble maker and the only thing to go wrong with it is the bubble maker breaking. so there isnt anything wrong with your skimmer its just a little bit of patience and some fine tweaking.

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you tried to adjust with no air going to the unit? It should fall about 2-4" below the neck.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried from 5-8” with no success. By no air do you mean paper clip the airline tubing? I have not done that. I ran it for a few days without the collection cup on it but it didn’t seem to do much imo so I just gave up lol.

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this problems a few times infact last weekend this happened to my skimmer (Bubble Magus C3.5) and the success i have had with my skimmer is to have it open at maximum. you will get alot of micro bubbles in your tank but after a few hours it will settle and then slowly close the gate maybe a notch a day until it settles itself in. patience is the key. my LFS dude told me that nothing can really go wrong with a skimmer as it is just really an air filter / bubble maker and the only thing to go wrong with it is the bubble maker breaking. so there isnt anything wrong with your skimmer its just a little bit of patience and some fine tweaking.
Do I need to have the collection cup on? I have ran it for a day and a half without the cup on there, but when I added it back it just fillled back up like always. Open to all tricks lol

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It has this silencer on there but I don’t know if it is adjustable. If it is I am not sure I know how!
IMG_0069.jpeg

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This may be a silly question but is the pump on that thing a DC pump and if so is there a speed control?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No silly questions. No, it is AC.
I have only ever had one skimmer it is simplicity brand, I am still at a beginner level. No silly questions? challenge accepted :p

- Do you have any treatments in the tank, like fluconazole or a similar ?
- Do you have fresh filter socks that were washed in soap ?
- Do you have a little knob you can turn left and right that makes the water level go up and down in the tube?
- Can you make the pump run faster or slower (like a row of lights and you can turn the speed up/down)
- Is your skimmer in a low flow area, likely skimming the same water multiple times as the water isnt passing through that chamber quickly?
- Does the skimmer sit completely flat on the bottom, so there is not one side of the cup higher than the other?
- Can you add an airline tubing to the silencer part and blow more air into the inside of the skimmer chamber?

I have no idea what it does or why it does it, but if I put an air pump connected to the little acrylic chamber with two spouts coming off of it, and fill it with tank water about 3/4 the way up, that helps there to be more bubbles and less water in the chamber that travels up.

These are just observations I have personally witnessed to cause my skimmer to skim clear water into the cup

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my skimmer, I found my water level inside the skimmer to be at a sweet spot right about the top of the ring circled. Use your red gate valve to adjust it. Not sure this will help your situation but thought I’d offer anyway.
IMG_8524.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back