Skimmer overflow with an Octo Classic 152-S

  • Thread starter Thread starter jgvergo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2014
Messages
1,307
Reaction score
1,368
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi DIYers,

I want to install a float switch that is connected to my Apex, which will detect when my skimmer is full. The collection cup lid for my skimmer has a plastic ring that makes it impossible to mount the float switch on the edge of the lid. I'm thinking of mounting it in the center of the lid, but that will mean that the float switch will constantly be subjected to dirty bubbles. I don't mind having to clean it weekly, but I am a little concerned that the bubbles might cause to switch to prematurely cause the float to rise and give me a "false full" signal.

Does anyone have experience with this type of setup? Should I be worried with my proposed approach?

Thanks in advance!!

1573420150590.png
 
I figured out this won't work! There is never anything but bubbles in the center of the cup!
 
This is probably a dumb question, but how does this device communicate with the Apex?
It doesn't actually communicate w/Apex. You plug their power plug into your apex, skimmer plug into their plug & when skimmer cup is full it shuts off skimmer at the power source.
 
The reef octopus regal series lids have the ring offset and a hole to the side in the lid for the sensor.
Maybe the lid will fit your cup?
My sensor is always dirty.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new