Skimmer Placement

Toastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day my fellow reefers,

Hope you are doing great on this start the week.

I have a few questions that requires expertise.
I have just started my nano reef tank (15 days young) and I have been on top of water parameters and making sure the parameters are staying on a constant level, my tank is very new but hey you have to start somewhere.

1) I would like to know where is the best placement for the skimmer, my tank has a top/back sump and my skimmer is placed in the first filter housing which consists of three.
Does it matter that its in the first chamber?

2) I also noted that there are medium bubbles not a lot forming on top of the water in the corner, is this because there might be too little flow in the area or is this just part of the cycle? FYI - the tank comes with a pump and I have add a small wave maker.

3) I have been running the full cycle without the light on as advised from my fish guru and multiple reefers, what is your take on the situation?
I have done some research and it comes down to avoiding the algae growing, but once I put the light on a schedule is that not going to happen anyway?
My idea was to run my 1- hour to day time -8 hours of day time -1 to night time schedule on the light but only use 50% on Blue 15% on White and then run night time for 2 - 3 hours to avoid any algae bloom.

My parameters are as follows -

Sal - 1.025
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
NO4 - 0.3

Cant wait to read your advise/opinions.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
1) I would like to know where is the best placement for the skimmer, my tank has a top/back sump and my skimmer is placed in the first filter housing which consists of three.
Does it matter that its in the first chamber?
Skimmer placement in the first chamber is fine. 2nd is probably for heater?
2) I also noted that there are medium bubbles not a lot forming on top of the water in the corner, is this because there might be too little flow in the area or is this just part of the cycle? FYI - the tank comes with a pump and I have add a small wave maker.
In the tank or in one of the chambers?

3) I have been running the full cycle without the light on as advised from my fish guru and multiple reefers, what is your take on the situation?
I have done some research and it comes down to avoiding the algae growing, but once I put the light on a schedule is that not going to happen anyway?
My idea was to run my 1- hour to day time -8 hours of day time -1 to night time schedule on the light but only use 50% on Blue 15% on White and then run night time for 2 - 3 hours to avoid any algae bloom.

My parameters are as follows -

Sal - 1.025
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
NO4 - 0.3

Cant wait to read your advise/opinions.
You want to try to avoid any algae bloom early. You will probably get some eventually. But your nutrients seem low right now which is good. Might want to start with less Daytime 4 hours and work your way up. Are you ghost feeding to help the cycle?

OP
OP
Toastie

Toastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer placement in the first chamber is fine. 2nd is probably for heater?

In the tank or in one of the chambers?

You want to try to avoid any algae bloom early. You will probably get some eventually. But your nutrients seem low right now which is good. Might want to start with less Daytime 4 hours and work your way up. Are you ghost feeding to help the cycle?
I have not used the LED as yet, to avoid as much algae as possible. I tested my water parameters yesterday to confirm when I can add my fist fish. The person said my tank is ready for its first fish which I will collect this weekend after the quarantine process.
I'm trying to play the waiting game to avoid any harsh changes in the tank.

I strive in patience so I can wait.

I have not been gost feeding the tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back