Skimmer Q&A Thread

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the official R2R Skimmer Q&A Thread where the answers to your questions are as concentrated as skimmate!

We will do our best as a community to answer questions you have concerning protein skimmers so ask away!

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Mojo great to have you here on R2R and thank you for sharing your expertise!

Have you ever checked out an ORCA 250 skimmer?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent ran one personally I have checked them out at some frag swaps. They are really pretty nice units for the money. THe move a ton of water making them nice options for larger systems. They are too large for me to run on my little 90g.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am running one on my 250g and I have no complaints so far. I get about 5g of skimmer nog every 3 weeks or so. :)

I have never cleaned it or the collection cup in the 3-4 months I have used it. I was wondering is it really necessary to clean it?

amonchak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo-

In your experience what would be the best skimmer for a 55 gallon mixed reef (bang for buck)? In sump type would be preferred.

Currently have a cheapo JEBO that is not impressive to say the least.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as cleaning it. Man I would hate to see the neck of it. lol. I would probably clean it every month. as it will start to close up the neck full of nog I would imagine. It should run more consistant cleaning it a little more often. But if it is working for you. I am not sure I would change it. If it isnt broke dont fix it. Ya know.
Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo-

In your experience what would be the best skimmer for a 55 gallon mixed reef (bang for buck)? In sump type would be preferred.

Currently have a cheapo JEBO that is not impressive to say the least.
Best bang for buck for you would be the the Vertex IN 100. Really a great skimmer and under $200. Euroreef design with a few added features. Make sure you get the Gen 2 model and run it at 7 inches of water and you will be set. Bust bang for buck under 200.
Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just thought I would mention I got a alpha 170 in the mail today. Ill take pics of it with my ATB. I havent seen it yet. my daughter said it was at the house though

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you Mojo. I have a 14g biocube project Ill be starting in the next couple of weeks. Im going to drill it for a sump and need a very small but good skimmer. Not exactly all-in-one nano small, the main reason for doing this is to get a real skimmer, but smaller than a coralife super 65. Possibly something that can run off of an mj1200. Any ideas?

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever ran an Aerofoamer skimmer? Or any info on it? I just started running it but its the first beckett skimmer I have ever owned. Any tips on beckett skimmers?

Eric

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever ran an Aerofoamer skimmer? Or any info on it? I just started running it but its the first beckett skimmer I have ever owned. Any tips on beckett skimmers?

Eric
Isnt this a reef concepts skimmer?

If I remember this kinda has the beckett built into the pvc going down into the base of the skimmer. Similar design to a bermuda as far as that goes.
Becketts work well for larger systems and I found that the less I had to shut it off the better. They move a lot of water but just are not as efficient on the smaller tanks.

Should work fine just give it time.
Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you Mojo. I have a 14g biocube project Ill be starting in the next couple of weeks. Im going to drill it for a sump and need a very small but good skimmer. Not exactly all-in-one nano small, the main reason for doing this is to get a real skimmer, but smaller than a coralife super 65. Possibly something that can run off of an mj1200. Any ideas?
well that is a pretty small tank. You could get away with water changes. but if you want to run a sump and a small skimmer. I would probably get one of the Tunze 9002 skimmers. Probably one of the best little skimmers you could get. The urchin would work. but the Tunze would be better for you. Anything else I feel would be too large.
Mojo~

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alpha 200 on 90g tank. 24 hours

photo-15.jpg

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am uploading pics of teh alpha 170 on my 90g now. Some side by side with the ATB 840 v 1.5 as well.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mojo, thats probably the one I will look into.
no ad if you see something that catches your eye just let us know. I am sure between myself, gadgets and CSMguy someone should be able to help you out.

Mojo~

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back