Skimmer Question - Boiling vs Bubbling

Aquaman102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Reef Octopus INT - 150. I'm struggling to get the nice big bubbles. The water is pretty much boiling up the skimmer neck.

The skimmer is in the recommended depth of water. Both of the air intakes are open.

Any tips to get bubbles vs boiling water coming up the neck of the skimmer?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Reef Octopus INT - 150. I'm struggling to get the nice big bubbles. The water is pretty much boiling up the skimmer neck.

The skimmer is in the recommended depth of water. Both of the air intakes are open.

Any tips to get bubbles vs boiling water coming up the neck of the skimmer?

Is this a new skimmer?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, almost a year old. I've been fighting this for a while, finally giving up and asking questions cause I can't figure it out.

More of a fizz of bubbles, I stead of skimmate foam? Does it pull any skimmate into the collection cup?

OP
OP
A

Aquaman102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More of a fizz of bubbles, I stead of skimmate foam? Does it pull any skimmate into the collection cup?

Definitely a fizz of bubbles, like boiling water. No foam at all. It'll get skimmmate in the cup, but I have to balance it precariously close to the top, otherwise the skimmmate is really wet.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the entire skimmer and put it in vinegar solution overnight, running with air hose taken off but in the solution. As deep as you can do the skimmer body is submerged
Next day rinse and clean, take out impeller, inspect, dry , put back together and let us know. I do this every 9-12 months and it’s like new

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a fizz of bubbles, like boiling water. No foam at all. It'll get skimmmate in the cup, but I have to balance it precariously close to the top, otherwise the skimmmate is really wet.

Not sure I understand. Waterline (fizz line) should be in between where the collection cup meets the body and bottom of the cup. Adjusting the gate valve till it's there or if this is a really old 150, the adjustment pipe.

Foam should form in the collection cup tube and dump over into it. Takes a little time for this do this.

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I understand. Waterline (fizz line) should be in between where the collection cup meets the body and bottom of the cup. Adjusting the gate valve till it's there or if this is a really old 150, the adjustment pipe.

Foam should form in the collection cup tube and dump over into it. Takes a little time for this do this.

yep exactly this. Took me ages before I worked this out! The fizz should stop at the top of the body, it’ll look way too low but then foam will form over a few days, filling the neck and spilling into the cup.

evergreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep exactly this. Took me ages before I worked this out! The fizz should stop at the top of the body, it’ll look way too low but then foam will form over a few days, filling the neck and spilling into the cup.
Sorry to revive such an old thread.. so should the fizz line be there? this is a REEF OCTOPUS 200 INT.. bottom arrow or top arrow?

Attachments

• IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 134

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back