Skimmer Question

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question, but even after two years doing saltwater tanks I never really thought about it. Does skimmate have salt in it? Or is it just water that your ATO will replace?

RM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is skimming the water from your tank so yes it does. Skimmers do not work on fresh water tanks because only saltwater foams.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is skimming the water from your tank so yes it does. Skimmers do not work on fresh water tanks because only saltwater foams.

I guess I should be more specific. I didnt know if the salt stayed in the tank, and the water pushed into the collection cup is basically salt less.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this same question myself only yesterday.

The answer is it pulls salt+water from your tank, and the ATO will refill it. However compared to the overall volume of the typical tank and daily evaporation, it's a very small amount that can be compensated for quite easily with regular salinity checks and top ups, frequency depending on how wet you are skimming.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this same question myself only yesterday.

The answer is it pulls salt+water from your tank, and the ATO will refill it. However compared to the overall volume of the typical tank and daily evaporation, it's a very small amount that can be compensated for quite easily with regular salinity checks and top ups, frequency depending on how wet you are skimming.

Gotcha! makes sense. I got my new RSK 600 yesterday and I randomly was laying in bed this morning at 4am thinking bout this. lol

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I assumed it would just be foam pulled out, but when water started coming over, I had the same thought. I have a relatively light bioload, so I plan to skim fairly dry to avoid it as much as possible.

Back