Skimmer Recommendation For 130 gal

  • Thread starter Thread starter saber2th
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

saber2th

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 9, 2015
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, new to the site and glad to be here. My son and I are going to be setting up a 130 gal FOWLR tank with a light to medium fish load after the holidays. I will be installing a 40 or 55 gal sump/refugium , live rock and live sand in the display tank. I'm still trying to figure out which protein skimmer would be right for my set up, and trying to stay under $400. I will be building a stand for this tank so I'm not limited to a size. So far I'm looking at the following skimmers.
Reef Octopus Classic 150 INT or 160 INT
AquaMaxx ConeS Q-2
Bubble Magus Curve 7
Any input would be appreciated!
 
If you can save a little more the Orphek helix skimmer is what I would do.
Maybe the Helix 3000?
 
I've ran a reef octupus 150 int classic for 3 years now and love it. The quality you can actually feel and the performance is amazing. One thing I wish someone would of told me when I was looking at it the bottom half of the skimmer on the inside does not come apart making the bottom half a downright pain to properly clean. They came out with the new 152 and 202 models that for me solve this problem and are comparable priced.
 
If you can save a little more the Orphek helix skimmer is what I would do.
Maybe the Helix 3000?

I see this one is on sale for $299. Not familiar with this brand, thanks for the input!! I will look into this one.
 
I've ran a reef octupus 150 int classic for 3 years now and love it. The quality you can actually feel and the performance is amazing. One thing I wish someone would of told me when I was looking at it the bottom half of the skimmer on the inside does not come apart making the bottom half a downright pain to properly clean. They came out with the new 152 and 202 models that for me solve this problem and are comparable priced.

Thanks for the heads up on it not coming apart, did not know that. I did look at the 152 and 202 and thought it was a possibility.
 
Another vote for RLSS (Canadian made - Reef Life Support Systems). I have the R8-i and really love the skimmer. They sell for $499.99. I am planning on upgrading to the RLSS DB10i on my new tank.

FullSizeRender_zpsc56ba0d4.jpg
 
I run a vertex omega150 on my 120DT with 30 sump. its a great skimmer and get good reviews. So far, so good.

Also, if youre interested, I have an extra Omega150, brand new/sealed in box for sale. asking $385 shipped&PP
 
I have a Reef Octopus 160, but I'm waiting for the new RLSS DB i series. They will have the apex ready controller on their waveline pump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new