Skimmer recommendation for a 57g cube

LeChatCommence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

First time posting, thanks in advance for the advice. I'm setting up a new 57g cube with a 20 gallon long sump I'm building out (so ~70 gallons total). I haven't bought a simmer in years so I'm definitely out of the loop on what's good these days. Can anyone suggest a solid skimmer, preferably with a DC pump (its in my room so noise is a concern).

reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi twchapman,

Welcome to Reef2Reef! The skimmer that I use for my similarly sized setup and always recommend due to how quiet, easy, and efficient it is is the Reef Octopus Classic 150SSS 6" Internal Space Saving Protein Skimmer. The skimmer costs $323.39 at Bulk Reef Supply and has received great reviews. When it comes to protein skimmers, Reef Octopus is by far the best brand out there. If you are looking for something cheaper and do not intend on having a lot of fish in your tank, there is also a smaller model available called the Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS 5" Internal Space Saving Protein Skimmer, which goes for $277.19 at Bulk Reef Supply. I would suggest the 150SSS 6" option however, because it gives you the option of adding more live stock later down the line. Below I have attached a link to both models.

Drop a like if this helps!

Reef Octopus Classic 150SSS 6" Internal Space Saving Protein Skimmer: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-classic-150sss-6-internal-space-saving-skimmer.html

Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS 5" Internal Space Saving Protein Skimmer: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef...-5-internal-space-saving-protein-skimmer.html

Krux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Nyos 120 is a great, compact unit. I ran one on my 46 gallon tank, and moved it up to my current 90 gallon tank.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the Tunze 9410dc.
You cant hear it run. It has anti overflow, a filter sock you can put media in, I use it for carbon.
It is a set and forget skimmer.
Turn it on and it skims.
You dont ever have to turn it off to clean the cup.
Here is a pic I just took of it in my 45 fraf system with 40 breeder sump.
I also run a 9430dc on my 120 and its a beast.
Tunze skimmers are very underrated.
20211229_191920.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LeChatCommence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I ended up going with a reef oct 150-INT 6". The tank has been up for 7 weeks and its been great. It took me a week or so after the cycle // adding my first lightning maroon to get it dialed in to the actual dissolved organics. It was running super lean for a bit (mostly pulling out water). But its cruising now. Thanks for the recommendations!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back