Skimmer Recommendations? Max Air Intake Desired

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am looking to upgrade the skimmer on my display tank. The current skimmer works ok, but I feel like it's undersized and that my PH would benefit from even more air-intake.

Today my ~210 gallon system is using an eshopp x-160 which is rated for a light bioload of 220 gallons or so.. I really want something with alot more air intake but it's hard to find any air intake ratings of skimmers so hoping that folks here have some recommendations. I noticed on unique corals the great white skimmers list their air intake, does anyone know any other manufacturer that lists air intake?

Thanks

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air intake is labeled on larger manufactured skimmers. Usually in L/ph...
The gph or water going through the skimmer is more important imo.
Basically the more gph the more lph.
Say a lifereef with a basic smaller jaebo dc pump pumps so much gph throught it....well the venturi or air intake will increase as the gph does.
Hths.
D

OP
OP
josephxsxn

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air intake is labeled on larger manufactured skimmers. Usually in L/ph...
The gph or water going through the skimmer is more important imo.
Basically the more gph the more lph.
Say a lifereef with a basic smaller jaebo dc pump pumps so much gph throught it....well the venturi or air intake will increase as the gph does.
Hths.
D

Never used a venturi design before, the ReefLife site really talks highly of them. I could see hooking up an overkill pump to one to really drive the numbers high.. I assume I would just attach my outdoor air line to the venturi.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmers use a venturi these days. The vent is just down on the pump in front of the intake. The below body pump skimmers of today usually use a mesh wheel or prop to increase the pump foam.production .as well... what skimmer are you using or used to using?
D

OP
OP
josephxsxn

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmers use a venturi these days. The vent is just down on the pump in front of the intake. The below body pump skimmers of today usually use a mesh wheel or prop to increase the pump foam.production .as well... what skimmer are you using or used to using?
D
Using this today the x-160, just reading the description it does have a venturi much like your describe.

OP
OP
josephxsxn

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice skimmer. It's a dc pump? You have it full on? All the way up?
It's AC pump, running at max (because no control lol ). Had a few issues for a while getting it to skim well, always still seems finiky but better now that I put a platform to lift it so it's at 9" of water.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes time for that foam head to get heavy and build up. You don't want to be skimming all the time. Only when the nutrients get out of hand
My opinion.
D

OP
OP
josephxsxn

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you, my primary goal of the skimmer is really more for PH corrections which is why I have the outdoor skimmer air line. It makes a huge difference but after following some other threads I am curious if more air intake would improve the gas balance even more and hence the PH.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It won't. Ur tank will exp such a small increase it will be barely noticeable on a test.
Ur better off trickle dosing soda ash to increase ph and stabilize alkalinity. Again.
My opinion
D

OP
OP
josephxsxn

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It won't. Ur tank will exp such a small increase it will be barely noticeable on a test.
Ur better off trickle dosing soda ash to increase ph and stabilize alkalinity. Again.
My opinion
D

I know when I went to an outdoor skimmer line I got almost a 0.2 increase across the board in PH and hence why I was looking to increase the air-intake :) .. Been using reef-code a/b on a doser for a long time now so my alk stays pretty constant but dont get the boost like you would from soda or kalk.

Back