Skimmer sizing question...

prim0c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have recently started the Zeovit system, and as a result, I'm starting to look into every aspect of my tank and how it's set up (I've notoriously had high phosphates for a long time, and am really wanting to get SPS to start growing). I currently have a tank that is 130 gallon display with a 55 gallon sump that holds 22 gallons of total water volume. I'm currently skimming with a Reef Octopus 110 INT (which is only rated for 100 gallons of water I find out.).

I use filter socks, and have the skimmer in the following chamber. I change the socks every 3 days. I'm concerned that I'm not going to be skimming enough due to my tank volume. However, I don't have any additional space underneath the sump! This was a custom built stand that was not built very tall. There is a support beam directly above the skimmer chamber that is exactly 23" tall.... and most skimmers that I've looked at that are rated for more water volume are too tall for this.

I have a pretty heavily stocked reef, and want to continue to stock it... while keeping my levels down.

How much is my current setup going to struggle? What other options do you think I might have? Talk me off the ledge I'm on thinking about doing crazy things to make a new skimmer fit :)

Thanks for your thoughts,
-Endus

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea RSK600 is listed as 22" tall and has a built in drain for cup. Getting the skimmer in and out to clean it would be a gigantic pain, but technically comes in under the 23" height you list.

Back