Skimmer Woes (sudden)

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaching for anything, but I can't figure out what might have happened. Suddenly, last night, my skimmer went into crazy overflow mode. And has been there ever since. I have a variable speed pump, so I dropped the speed from 70% to 20%, and it stopped pulling in so much air, but literally pumped water straight up the chute into the cup at 20%. I ended up opening the 'release valve' (not sure what it is really called' to allow more water to drain out down instead in the cup, and left the pump at 30% overnight.

This morning, still in the same boat.

I haven't added anything new to the tank, nothing affected the tank at the time it happened, etc. Any ideas what might cause this?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like something got into the valve the water drains through & you had to open the valve to purge it but it's still there. Time for an inspection & cleaning.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,did you check air intake for obstuction,sounds like a blockage of some sort ,pump pushing water with out enough air,pull hose ,poke pipe cleaner through :)

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check air intake. Didn't check the valve. Opening it, it definitely has water/air flowing out, but maybe something is in there. will check that part tonight.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,sorry just quick scanned your build,very nice!! octopus int 150 skimmer in question, would disassemble the pump see if something is lodged in impeller,or has broken tines on impeller,lets go from there;)we know pump is working ,seems like an air mix problem

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much @fishguy242 :) Will do tonight. This morning, bubbles looked better. Still running low and bubbles are high, but they were much less wet than they have been past 2 days.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good to hear ;)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back